Works Riders and Clubmen

trapezeartist

3 hours ago, b40rt said:

Pete, do you feel the 4rt has improved your results ?

Not sure about Pete but the 4RT fits my riding stile and I have better marks with it than others I have tried.  

But some of my friends do way better on 2T's so to each their own.  B)

5 hours ago, b40rt said:

Pete, do you feel the 4rt has improved your results ?

It has, I was within a 5 (unfamiliarity caused a stall) of the winner first time out and had two route wins last year.  Not bad after forty-odd years on two strokes, barring a handful of  Enfield outings.  Can't remember when I last had that on the Beta.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

21 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

This thread in the Montesa forum got me thinking (well, I didn't have anything else to do):

Works teams employ top-class riders to show how good the product is, and then the average (or not-even-average) clubman will be encouraged to buy the same. But is that a flawed logic? It may be that the best bike for a Bou or a Dabill is not the best bike for you or I. And perhaps a bike that they would consider uncompetitive would turn out to be the best for those of us with less exalted abilities.

Or perhaps I'm talking rubbish again.

I believe all the bikes we can buy are much of a muchness, some might prefer the stiff feel of an aluminium frame, others the flex of steel, but 4RT apart they are all simple two strokes.

When it comes to the works team bikes, the HRC Montesas are truly special, but I believe all the rest are just production versions 'turned up to eleven'. Magazine tests of Raga's Gas Gas and Dabill's Beta both reported their power as too much of a good thing. The production versions of any bike are more suited to us, the majority of average riders.

Dabill has been British champion on Gas Gas, Beta & Vertigo. The world top five hasn't changed despite Raga & Fajardo changing bikes. If there is a flaw in anyone's logic, it is that there is a 'best' bike; there isn't, but there are lots of personal preferences for lots of reasons.

• Like 4

The full factory WTC bikes, are very modified most of the mods hidden with no bling so you think you are buying the same in the dealers.

The bikes of the top BTC guys are not that trick, Just very well set up and finely tuned in every important department.

The best make of bike is one in good mechanical order with good fresh tyres. Set up properly and adjusted to suit the style, Height and weight  of the rider.

All the modern bikes do the same thing, They ride different but it takes more than a few go's to get used to them so you will get alot of false opinions of bikes from people who have only had 15 mins on one at a test day.

4 strokes are a like Marmite and some people, after spending 8k on a Ra Ra model, Can't back peddle and admit they'd be better off on a 250 EVO!!.

For club men a re tuned 125 or a well set up 250 is the best. Experts know what they are after anyway.

Give me 212cc's of 28 year old Fantic and I'll show you why you don't need a 300!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Out for a morning practise with a guy yesterday,  Fantic 340, and new Beta 300.  Riders similar age and experience,e mid fifties. The Fantic could do everything the Beta could. Only when it started to get a little silly could you see the age gap, although the old Fantic was willing.  She won t be replaced just yet for a younger model..She's still better looking.

• Like 1

It just depends on the style of section. When I rode the SWM for a bit at certain trials you could ride the middle course and still be top 5. At other clubs events I had to ride easy course.

However don't be misled,  all this is really saying is that if the sections are easy enough the bike is less important. A twinshock or aircooled mono isn't a patch on a modern bike in terms of capability but if you ride a modern bike in a twinshock event you don't see the advantage in the results as the sections are set for a twinshock.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

There is an old saying 

"win on Sunday sell on Monday "

People like to have a bike that does well in competition and if you like a particular rider, your more than likely going to get one that looks the same as theirs. 

No its more than likely not going to make you better, but you still can dream lol