Help wanted: Beta Zero 1992 Troubleshoot/ Service

highland_wizard

Hello. I have a 1992 Beta which has been shedbound for a few years prior to me buying it last year as a project. In typical fashion it has remained in the shed un-finished and I'm looking to get some pointers or help towards where and what I should start on.

Since I have had it, the engine has started once and sounded ok. I believe the reason it was damned to the shed in the first place was down to clutch problems. A bit of tinkering with a friend showed there was transmission fluid in the water (or vice versa). I searched a bit but I couldn't find how to begin dismantling let alone what piece to buy.

Long story short, I want to completely service this bike top to bottom, I'm not mechanically savvy but quite capable of doing intricate engineer work and following instructions. If anyone could even point me towards a good textbook it would be much appreciated, if anyone knows and is able to tell me what I need to do I wil be eternally grateful.

Also if there's a more appropriate area or forum to start this thread, please direct me.

Many thanks.

I bought one of these years ago, it was just a few boxes of parts.

Same thing happened, someone took it apart due to water and oil mixing in the gearbox.

All I could find was a rough, photocopied exploded parts diagram from John Lampkins to help me, it was enough, but it was hard to read!

Turned out there's a couple of small seals (and bearings) on the waterpump shaft that are prone to leaking.

I seem to remember the shaft runs right through the gearbox, it's driven from the left side, but the pump is on the right with the seals/bearings between the cases.

I also seem to think the head seals with two rubber O rings, worth checking these are ok along with the grooves they sit in if there's a chance it's over heated.

Not a bad bike for it's time, but the alloy frame isn't great, they were prone to the swinging arm cracking, just around the voids where the bearings/bushes fit.

Edited by goudrons

This is probably not easy or cheap. The magnesium case has probably eaten through and you need new center cases. So take apart the water pump first to see if the case is ruined. On the positive side I saved one using JB weld and lots of patience. Good Luck.

• Like 1