Beta TR34 piston

moulder

There are a few of us looking for the same thing ..... we can get some made but only for between 10& 15 .... one of the lads has a piston to copy ..... but trying to get circa £250 - 300 of everyone seems to have slowed this down ....pm me your name & number and if it moves along I'll give you a shout !!!!

cheers as always 

The Wobbler!!

I experienced this problem when I rebuilt my 260cc TR34, so I sent my barrel and piston down to Lancourts who checked the piston over then plated the barrel to match the original piston, that was over a year ago and the bike is still running sweet with no problems, obviously my piston wasn't to badly worn but it may be another option to look at if your struggling.

20170120_112038.jpg

Edited by andy walker

Wasn't it stated in previous threads and posts?

There are no pistons available and this sadly hasn't changed in the last three years beside one or two accidental findings at some dealers. Even frequently asking wount cure the problem?

250 - 300 GBP per piston of a run of 10 to 15! that are numbers.

As previous mentioned it may be the case that your piston is still reuse able but the cylinder needs an overhaul, but too the opposite can be necessary (the normal case btw.)

With a new plating of the cylinder often the con-rod and his bearings are at their end of their lifetime too then these should btw. also been replaced.

Get these three main parts checked as with the reasonable amount of money to spent already for one of them it doesn't make sense in the longer run to just replace one instead all three as if one of them fail or got to the end of wear it will effect the others too.

I personal had good experience with Woessner from coating (Nikasil), piston forged custom, con rod can be replicated by them too. (found a NOS in France). Woessner did the job very good and priceworthy btw. and you have a guarantee on the three main parts too.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to use a water called engine piston in a air called engine is risky thing to do.  Why?  The clearance on a air cooled piston to cylinder is much larger to allow expansion of the pistons during running.  The whole idea of a water called engine is that the pistons and cylinder stay cooler and affording smaller clearances of piston to cylinder.  A piston of  a water cooled engine would be tighter  and could expand very easily seizing up the engine.    

2 hours ago, billyt said:

Trying to use a water called engine piston in a air called engine is risky thing to do.  Why?  The clearance on a air cooled piston to cylinder is much larger to allow expansion of the pistons during running.  The whole idea of a water called engine is that the pistons and cylinder stay cooler and affording smaller clearances of piston to cylinder.  A piston of  a water cooled engine would be tighter  and could expand very easily seizing up the engine.    

Why would you consider using water cooled clearances on an air cooled engine ? 

Piston. 260cc. I have had one (single). It was NOT cheap but well made. Waiting time also is prohibitive if in a rush! I'm doing another 2 so you may want to get in touch.

20160623_185623.jpg

20160817_165318.jpg

20160823_204504.jpg

• Like 1

"For anyone who is interested pistons are pistons they are not made specifically for an aircooled engine or a watercooled engine as in there are no differences in thermal expansion rates between the two"

You mean all these water-cooled bikes are a waste of time?  Why did the engine design engineers go to all that bother?  Are you telling me that an air cooled engine does not lose power once it gets really warm?  Are you saying that the consistency of an air cooled bikes power output was never held to the same laws of physics?  While the expansion rates of  a particular type of aluminum that the piston is made of may be the same (an air cooled piston vs. a water cooled piston, aluminum is aluminum, ) the environment that that piston performs in i.e. a water cooled cylinder vs. an air cooled cylinder is two different environments.  In an air cooled engine due to the poor heat dissipation  i.e. fins, the piston and cylinder expansion was greater and exposed the bike to a power out put drop, pinging and a seizing of the engine, hence why there was a greater gap.   A water cooled bike can hold the temperatures in a more controlled environment.  Basically the two piston materials may expand and contract at the same rate in theory it is the environment that is the concern fins vs. a water cooled jacket.  Can I please have the name of this well know engine builder plater so as I can avoid them..... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2017 at 9:40 PM, Guest said:

Piston. 260cc. I have had one (single). It was NOT cheap but well made. Waiting time also is prohibitive if in a rush! I'm doing another 2 so you may want to get in touch.

20160623_185623.jpg

20160817_165318.jpg

20160823_204504.jpg

Sorry I have not been on here for a while. Thank you for all the advice. I'm thinking a zerof may be an option but I will need to investigate clearances etc. 

Guest, please can you provide any more info about your new piston? Cost? supplier/engineer?

Also, where is a zero 260 piston available?

Cheers 

Tony