250 or 300

evo boy

I'm thinking about a Vertigo but not sure about a 250 or 300. I test rode the 2017 250 ice hell on the test day which was nice. They didnt have a 300 to try as something was wrong with it. I managed to grab a very quick ride on 2016 300 combat wasn't 100% sure if I liked it but I been told the 2017 300's have been calmed down a bit. So not sure what to go for now.

I've never found my 300 Combat Camo to be anything other than torquey.

It's never felt too OTT or some sort of missile that scares or is difficult to control, but mine is a 2016.

It just seems to me the engine is "weighted" perfectly with a feeling the power delivery is solid rather than peaky.

I came from a 2014 Evo 300 and that certainly did need a flywheel weight to calm the mid throttle "hit" it seemed to suffer from.

Although two different weight flywheel weights are available from Vertigo, I just never felt the need for one.

There's a good chance the 300 Camo wasn't quite stock if it was a customers bike you tried.

I know of one customer who turned up at a test day with their own bike late last year and they had already altered the sprockets and fitted a slow action throttle, though for the life of me I don't know why!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ckm said:

Answered your own question, liked the 250. Just seen Toby Martyn in a Jitsie video riding the 250, looks a pretty capable 250. 

But I doubt a factory '250' would be the same as what us mortals would buy?

I have a 300 and it's the smoothest 300 I've ridden so far, loads of power if you want it, but puts it down really well, the 4 maps makes a difference so you can really ride it how you like.. haven't tried a 250 yet but would like to just to see the difference.

I have ridden at expert level on 300's for years -

3x Raga Rep Gas Gas and now an Ossa Factory 300

I had long rides on both 250 and 300 at the John Lee / Vertigo test day and would say that for 99% of the riders the 250 Vertigo is more than enough.

I clearly like a 300 motor and while it's definitely torquey I thinks too much for most.

the 250 was amazing across all the engine modes and conditions  whereby I found the 300 to be a lot less manageable / too snappy / fierce / excessive in a few situations. 

I'm very seriously thinking of one and would only consider a 250.

be worth you trying to get a ride on both though. If in any doubt opt for 250 though I'd say

Edited by nickday1