OSSA MAR - NO GEARS

poor1

8 hours ago, pmk said:

Woody and others offered good info.  I suspect that you may have forgotten to install the snap ring (I guess Jubilee clip is another name for it) and the thrust washer on the clutch end of the shaft.

With those parts missing, the shaft is able to move left, and will see the same problem again.

The others posting are well versed in these OSSA machines.  I learned about the shift shaft end play when I removed the clutch cover.  You mentioned. 1/2" of movement on the shaft.  With my clutch side cover removed there is that much end play.  With the snap ring and thrust washers fitted correcty, the shaft end play is zero.

Try moving the shift shaft outboard, if it can be drawn out of the side case, you may want to remove the side cover and ensure all parts are installed.

It's about ten years since I assembled it so I can't be sure whether I did install the snap ring or not.  (I think we (UK) refer to snap rings as inside or outside circlips).  However the the 'Jubilee' Clip (a screw driven hose clip) does hold the shaft in position.  I have gone one better and sawn off an old gear change pedal and put that on the spline on the other end of the shaft for the time being and that is probably a better engineering solution than using a Jubilee clip I suppose, but I will remove the clutch side case in due course to fix it properly as it's seems logical that is the root cause,.    Many thanks

OK guys, I have read the Jubilee clamp comments a few days ago.  Without sounding totally dumb, where is the Jubilee clamp actually located OR is this not an oem part inside the engine?

As best I can tell, my own 73 MAR, does not have a Jubilee clamp installed, unless it is between the right side main engine case and the shifter claw that actuates the shift drum.

I do recall, when I had the clutch side cover off, placed into a groove in the shift shaft was a snap ring / circlip external type, followed by a flat washer (which could be a hardened thrust washer), followed next by a spring washer, then the side cover.  

Does this sound correct?  If so, where does the jubilee clamp reside?

Thanks.

I am making progress but have had some other requirements take time away from the OSSA.

22 hours ago, woody said:

The jubilee clip is a 'user fix'... You just clamp a jubilee clip to the shaft spline on the right side of the engine to stop the shaft sliding to the left.

Thank you Woody.  That is what I was thinking, but not certain about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive now had the primary chain cover off and other than the snap ring (outside circlip) there is nothing on the shaft between it (the circlip) and the outer case.  I have routed around and found what I think may be the missing 'wave' washer.  I gather from the input by 'pmk' there is supposed to be another thrust  washer there as well.   Any idea of the thickness/dimensions please.

I'm going to Telford tomorrow and will hope to have a chat with Steve Sell who will probably put me right.

Any observations would be appreciated.

Edited by poor1

The answer is that on the outside of the circlip on the gear shaft there should be a washer (not a hardened one) against the circlip and then a wave washer before refitting the outer primary chaincase.

Thanks Steve

10 hours ago, poor1 said:

The answer is that on the outside of the circlip on the gear shaft there should be a washer (not a hardened one) against the circlip and then a wave washer before refitting the outer primary chaincase.

Thanks Steve

That sounds how mine is.  Clip, washer, spring washer.

• Like 1