Noisy Beta Rev

lopez

I have a worn out 2003 250cc Beta Rev.

When I got the bike, the engine itself was pretty loud - a mixture of a constant loud drone mixed with the occasional loud scraping noise. Imagine the sound of scraping leftovers off a textured ceramic plate with a knife and fork and you will know exactly what I mean! I dropped the gear oil, which was in awful condition and almost empty, and replaced with 550ml of MT75 gear oil. This oil has been in for a few hours and has remained red so the old oil must have been that - just old, rather than any sign of leaking coolant into it.

The oil change immediately silenced the intermittent scraping noise, but the motor itself is still very noisy - the noisiest Beta engine I've heard. It's not a knock, it's not a rattle, it's not a tap, it's not even quite a rumble, it's just loud and constant drone like you'd expect from a cement mixer or something. 

I've tried stethoscoping the engine to track the noise, and it doesn't appear to be top end, it sounds more like it's coming from the clutch/gearbox. It doesn't appear to be affecting performance in any way - the bike accelerates snappily, changes gear as well as I'd expect a 13 year old Beta to change gear, doesn't overheat etc etc. It just sounds a bit embarrassing!

Any ideas? If not I may just do another oil change and then just keep running it until something else happens... will try to get a video but I'm away at the moment and the microphone may not pick up the noise properly anyway.

No, that was my hope but clutch/no clutch/neutral/in gear makes no difference. Neither does increased revs seem to make much difference - it's just always there, which makes me think mains, which is a bit annoying but not the end of the world I suppose.