No more battery

jonnyjibs

1 hour ago, jonnyjibs said:

Just taken delivery of a new 250. Vertigo have got rid of the 9V battery. Bike was built Jan 2017. Apologies to existing owners, I forgot to ask if they can eliminate this on earlier bikes.

Very pleased so far!

Are you sure? My new 2017 250 turned up today and still has the battery wrapped up in the air box...

1 minute ago, evo boy said:

Mine was built on 14.12.2016 so it a little older than yours so still has the little Hart. Was yours delivered today??

Yes, just after midday. Very pleased with it, although I've not been further than the bottom of the garden. Really noticed a difference between maps on the slippy stuff. As you have said in another post, top service from Nick and VertigoUK, top team.

2 minutes ago, jonnyjibs said:

Yes, just after midday. Very pleased with it, although I've not been further than the bottom of the garden. Really noticed a difference between maps on the slippy stuff. As you have said in another post, top service from Nick and VertigoUK, top team.

Yours must of been the other one in the van. Yes Great bike love the mapping choices. I'm very happy with the bike and Thanks again Nick @ VertigoUK. Roll on Sunday.

• 1 month later...

I confirmed this with my importer a week ago, all the newer bike come with a different flywheel and no battery.  Any of 2.xx maps need the new flywheel to work, they moved the angular relationship between the pick-up and the keyway (crank position).  I was told that this was due to the Vandal and how it it set up, they want all the parts to cross over that can.

There is a battery elimination kit available, think it's about $150.  Haven't had an issue with mine so not too worried to switch but will eventually.  I'm guessing most of the new map development will be with that system.

Turns out I will be a guinea pig for the wireless update.  1.3 map on my bike and others with the battery is causing hard start issues.  In order to sort this out my dealer wants to load a 2.0 map on but it needs the battery-less system installed.  Dealer is going to put it in for me and load up the 2.0; I should have it back this weekend so will report back slightly as to any positive or negative affects.

• 1 month later...

Well I got the battery-less system installed and the 2.0 map loaded.  Starting is much better and the 2.0 map seems different off the bottom, a little more torque by my seat of the pants-o-meter.  Only have about 4 hrs on the new system but so far am liking it.

The 1.3 map has a pretty rich set for idle/starting and I had times when I couldn't start the bike even having just ridden it for a while (1/2 hr or more, no shut-off).  If you don't have the throttle pretty open it will put too much fuel in when the pump starts and just about floods it....not always but enough to make me worry about shutting off; not a good thing in trials at all!

Price for the system is about $150; I was told it costs about 300 euros but they get 150 euro back for the power control module (not the ECM but the little black box at the head stock) so the cost is somewhat recouped.   I'll update my post after some more time but so far it seems pretty good; took the dealer about 1 hr to install and re-flash the ECU.  They cut the power line from the battery and run that line to a new capacitor, add a ground out of the wiring loom and replace the power control module.  They also added a one way fuel valve from the line going from the pump to the injector; looks like a little plastic pancake fuel filter.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've now got about 20 hrs and one full trial on the battery-less system and can say it is great.  No more prodding a button with some type of start up pattern, just kick it and go like any other trials bike.  2.0 map is much better than previous ones, the addition of the map and battery-less makes me say what a fellow Vert rider said after his got changed.." Now I have the bike that I thought I bought to begin with."

The initial learning curve/Beta testing was well worth it, really enjoying the bike now.