Van for two

kwackerzak

I know this has been asked before but I can find anything recent that helps. I'm thinking of getting a van and wondered which was the smallest that would carry a full size bike and a beta 80. I've been looking at the partner at around a 12 reg so hopefully this would fit them in?

Fiat Doblo would do well for you. I use the car version, in fact have just bought a second one, which takes two bikes side by side with the rear seat removed, so with the van they should roll straight in. Excellent comfort and fuel economy, and purchase price should be reasonable.

In your position I'd probably look for the car version anyway, which you could use as a van, with windows blacked out if you wish with adhesive tint, without the lower speed limits which vans have imposed on them.

I use a Doblo like cleanorbust having previously had two Berlingos.  Found the Doblo easier at it has a wee bit extra length inside.  Does mid to high fifties to the gallon.  As it's the car version I can use it to take garden waste etc to the council tip where vans are not allowed.

Rear seat out in moments but one bike fits with seats just tipped up.

20 minutes ago, kwackerzak said:

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping for something slightly smaller like a partner or something, even if it was a squeeze.

The Berlingo is the Partner rebadged with the Doblo being the Fiat equivalent.  Anything smaller, eg the Bipper, is too small.  

Internet info shows the 12 Partner is 4.38 metres long with my Doblo at 4.252 metres.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

3 hours ago, brownie001 said:

Hi, I've got an ex german post Caddy. You can get two bikes in it easily, I have had three in it as well but that needs a bit of fiddling.

Here's a picture showing how much room there is with just one bike loaded.

Caddy.jpg

Is this a Swb or Lwb ??

I had a Honda Acty van once, 550cc of pure power AND you could work on the bike inside if you wore knee pads and swore a lot.

Two bikes fitted in just fine. 

Safety was a bit of an issue though as there were no crumple zones unless you include yourself.

Thankfully even if this van idea catches your interest I doubt if any of them have survived the rust disease.

Bigger is better me thinks :)

10 hours ago, westfield said:

Is this a Swb or Lwb ??

Oh yeah, good point. It is in fact a short wheel base model, the Maxi is longer, I don't know off hand by how much, 40 to 60 cm's I would think. I was tempted but the colour of this one got me ;o]