New to Trials so I started with a TY175 Restoration

erubin

I am new to the site and the sport and motorcycles in general .  This being my first post in the general forum I would post some pics of my project. In October,  I attended my first trials event and ended the day hooked on the sport and with a 1976 TY175 purchased from a fellow competitor in the parking area.  After getting it home I noticed a few items that needed some attention so I began to dig in.  As often happens with projects, a light freshening has turned into a full resto-mod.  The work below has been completed with some help and inspiration from friends (thanks Jeff!).  Below are some pics of my progress, hopefully you will find them interesting.  If you would like to see some earlier project pics, you can view them in my post in the introduce yourself section.  

Regards, Ed

IMG_3736.JPG

IMG_3741.JPG

IMG_3726.JPG

• Like 7

I see in your earlier photos the top shock mount is in the bottom hole of the gusset plate and in this photo it is in the middle hole. Is there still clearance between the shock body and the shock mount gusset plate with the mounting pin in the middle hole?

Edited by feetupfun
I looked at his other postings about this bike in a different section and realised my posting did not make sense the way it was

Not sure yet, I am just playing around with potential options.  I modified the mounting posts to allow for easy repositioning.  I am going to test the shocks clearence tomorrow to see if they will clear in the center location.  If  not I can easily move them downward to the lower location which is the intended location. Changing position can be acomplished in a couple of minutes and it will be interesting if change in location has a significant effect on handling and shock performance.

• Like 1

Looks great! I painted my tatty old Beta Rev up and by the second ride all the lacquer had flaked, some of the decals were peeling, bits of the paint had chipped and the forks looked like they'd been found in a scrapyard. Still worth the satisfaction of doing it though!

• Like 1

The frame and polished side covers have been powder coated so my hope is they will be a bit more durable than standard paint.   Forks are wet sanded to a high polish so not paint o worry about.  My friends frame with similar finish has held up well so I am hopeful.  Graphics are factory type so should hold up as well. 

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2017 at 10:24 PM, feetupfun said:

I see in your earlier photos the top shock mount is in the bottom hole of the gusset plate and in this photo it is in the middle hole. Is there still clearance between the shock body and the shock mount gusset plate with the mounting pin in the middle hole?

No clearance issues with shock body.  Going to try the shocks in both positions once it is ready to ride. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I have been distracted by my race car and racing season so little progress made over the past several months.  Started moving the project forward again and should have it off the rack and on the trail in the next couple of weeks. 

Enjoy!

IMG_4649.JPG

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...