Rev 3 rear brake travel

diesel2607

I have riden a trial last Sunday and I have noticed that my rear brake doesn't lock or work until the bottom of its travel the brake is working but only right at the bottom of the travel and ideas how to get this sorted so it works nearer the top is it just a case of adjusting the pedal travel or something else I should be looking at 

Is the piston inside the master cylinder I don't seem to be leaking any fluid so would it just be a case of removing the master cylinder and cleaning the piston and everything else reassemble and bleed as I have new break pistons to go in the caliper so would do all work and just bleed once as it took ages last time I did it 

5 hours ago, oni nou said:

Yes mate the piston is the  bit that moves inside the  mastercylinder , it  pushes against the brake fluid.if you lie on the floor looking up at the bottom of the rear brake mastercylinder ...where the pushrod [that is connected to the brake pedal] touches the mastercylinder this is the piston.......you should see a clip at the bottom of the M/C which is obviously there to stop the piston falling out.....ok if the bottom of the piston is touching this clip then apply the brake by pulling the pedal downwards  with your hand as far as you can pull it and then watch the bottom of the M/C while you release it .........if the piston returns and touches against the clip mentioned earlier then no amount of bleeding will change the ability to make an adjustment to the height that the brake pedal sits.......the only thing that would change this if you have adjusted it to its maximum length would be a longer pushrod.

If the piston is moving up and down in the mastercylinder smoothly it is working correctly...if not buy a new one.

The easiest way to bleed a rear brake is to use an automotive vacuum brake bleeder[AMAZ OR Ebuy] connected to the bleed nipple on the brake caliper and connect a larger [than the one fitted]  reservoir that you will have to use your imagination to conjure up[[a suitably sized funnel?] this allows you to work without constantly having to refill the miniature standard one.

OK thanks for detailed reply this sounds like it could be my problem will have a look over the weekend am I able to just buy the piston where is the best place to get one I have only seen seal kit without the piston for rev 3 cheers 

20 hours ago, oni nou said:

When you get the mastercylinder apart check that the bore has no pitting caused by oxidisation/corrosion as this will ruin a new seal...if it does have damage you would be better off buying a Mastercylinder.

I will look at the master cylinder tomorrow I have had a look at beta UK there kit says seals and piston so just checking if you definitely get a piston in this kit if anyone knows part number is 2008257 can't make my next trial so have plenty time to sort this cheers for the help