2007 Prototype GasGas four stroke trials machine development

guys

I agree, it could have been a very nice 4T bike for the clubman rider.  

From what I understand, they where considering EFI and it was in the 300 to 350cc range.  

You can hear it sort of wind out a bit at full RPM in the video. Not sure it that's  the side valves or just that it's an early prototype and they had not yet optimized the valve and ignition timing etc.. 

Cool concept nonetheless.

Agreed, jonnyc21, but side-valve development ended in about 1939. Since then fuels, materials, lubricants and design ideas in general have moved on a long way. I do think there's enough potential in the idea for someone to give it a go. I'd give it a 90% chance of being a success.

Yes, trapezeartist, it was a long time ago when the development of that tech ended and there is a chance with current advances that it could have worked. 

I have a lot of speculation in my head about what could improve a side valve design but I am sure many have already considered them all.  I suspect I will end up doing some research on the net to see what I can find but ether way we will never know what might have been. 

It looks like there was plenty of thought given to combustion chamber design in the 50s and 60s (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/speedex/index_files/Page2476.htm) but this is all backyard development of a pre-war design. Direct injection and stratified charge would open up all sorts of possibilities, though the development costs might be somewhat beyond a company like Gasgas or Beta. It would take Honda to have the resources to play with this stuff, and they wouldn't do it just for trials.

20 hours ago, jonnyc21 said:

About the only downside I believe is air flow caricaturists are not optimal for higher RPMs with that design so it would be limited without some work to improve the design to increase flow.  

When was the last time you went to a cart race ? The Tecumseh / Briggs boys , not the honda clone motors .... They get some evil power out of those engines , and with centrifugal Clutch's , Rpm is a big key ...