Cold starting.

eyore

I bought a 2005 Sherco 250 recently and have done a fair bit of work having scoured anything to do with Sherco.

I changed the oil, plug, cleaned the carb, fitted new front pads and front sprocket .Replaced the fork seals and changed the fork oil Retarded the timing .

Anyway the bike starts easily when warm, but is cantankerous when cold. Having read this forum thoroughly, I retarded the ignition, and started using the lean the bike on its side trick which sometimes works and sometimes dosent.

Yesterday it wouldent start for love or money, until I eventually tried a drop of petrol into the airbox, which worked instantly. Once started I applied the choke and it raised the revs which leads me to believe it is functioning correctly. I am wondering what size the standard  choke jet is, maybe a larger one is the answer? I have read that some people suggest drilling it bigger. Any sugestions or thoughts welcome.

10 hours ago, eyore said:

Already cleaned the carb and its highly unlikely I missed dirt in the pilot jet, but anything is possible. Thanks for the suggestion.

You do know that the pilot flows through two different holes. One directly in the bottom of the slide and one in front of the slide, both have to be clear.