ELF HTX740, 10 years old!

99techno

I'm just getting back into trials after a ten year lay off, I'm starting off with the same brand of bike which has saved me a bit of money as I had built up a spare parts stock.

i have a sealed up one ltr of the very expensive HTX740 but it's ten years old. You you guys use it??

image.jpg

Not quite the same I know but I've been using some forty year old chainsaw oil recently and it seemed fine.  I have used "old" oil before with no problems.  The only time there was, was a 5 gallon drum of Shell 2T where the small quantity in the bottom turned gelatinous,  but that had been exposed to air for years.

If you are worried then drain it after a trial and see if it shows signs of deterioration before putting it back in.

I think I would likely buy new oil myself, however... If you really want to know you could consider sending a small sample for an oil test as long as you have some extra. 

I would think problem of it sitting that long would be if the oil has changed in PH over that 10 year time frame as a result of the additives going bad not the oil its self having an issue.  (But I have been wrong before so...)

Edited by jonnyc21

My guess is that so long as it is clear with no milkiness or sediments it will probably be OK to use. However it was as far as I know designed as a competition gearbox oil and as such would probably not have long life as a priority. As another poster says, why chance it for £15 or so. Keep it as a flushing oil in case you ever get water in your gearbox.

• Like 1

I am still using some 740 that must be 10 years old

I always pour it out into a clear jug and it looks fine, so use it in the 4RT gearbox

No ill effects here, just check it before adding ( I do have some that is 5 months old and the oil that is 10 years old is identical to the ordinary eye)

27 minutes ago, hgas said:

Sorry to jump in on the conversation  I've just bought a 2014 montesa (in love) how much gearbox and engine oil do I need to put in when servicing? 

In the link you can find the manual for the 2016 300RR which can be used for the oil quantities.
In my experience the engine oil quantity, with oil filter change, is 0.54L in stead of 0.44L

http://montesa4rt.nl/

• 3 weeks later...