GEAR AND CLUTCH OIL - Beta Evo 4T

betasweden

Hello,

When im reading trough the instruction manual for my Beta Evo 300 4T -17.

I have noticed that under “Recommendations Lubricants and Liquids”

It says:

ENGINE OIL  - LIQUI MOLY RACING SYNTH 10W50

GEAR AND CLUTCH OIL - LIQUI MOLY RACING 4T 10W-30

Does anybody know anything about the "Gear and Clutch oil"?

It does not say where and how to change? 

Br/ Daniel

GEAR AND CLUTCH OIL.pdf

The owners/service manual shows where. Drain bolt under skid plate, oil filter on right hand case and same bolt on the bottom of each side case which also have two screen type filters. You have do them all. Careful not to overfill, use the sight glass. Seems right around 700 cc. 

Betasweden

In the english text of the owners/service manual (downloadable from http://www.betamotor.com/en/support/manuals but probably supplied to you on CD) they incorrectly show pictures of the 2 stroke engine when talking about checking the oil level and refilling.  The pictures included in other language texts are correct, however.  The pictures for removing/refitting the filters mentioned by lineaway are correct within the english text.  

As with earlier versions of the engine the lubricant appears to be shared between motor, gearbox and clutch, with only one drain plug and one refill plug.

Recommended by UK importer to use a fully synthetic oil.

8 hours ago, portman said:

Betasweden

In the english text of the owners/service manual (downloadable from http://www.betamotor.com/en/support/manuals but probably supplied to you on CD) they incorrectly show pictures of the 2 stroke engine when talking about checking the oil level and refilling.  The pictures included in other language texts are correct, however.  The pictures for removing/refitting the filters mentioned by lineaway are correct within the english text.  

As with earlier versions of the engine the lubricant appears to be shared between motor, gearbox and clutch, with only one drain plug and one refill plug.

Recommended by UK importer to use a fully synthetic oil.

Hello,

Thanks for the information. When im checking other language I can see it not the same.

Filters and everything im aware about. No problem. As well as the oil.

However, lineaway says 700 cc is enough oil in the engine. But instruction says 900ml?

Filled up the engine last night with 900ml. But I could see that the sight glass was overfilled quickly?

What is the correct amount? Seems like instruction manual should be correct with the amount of oil?

16 hours ago, lineaway said:

The owners/service manual shows where. Drain bolt under skid plate, oil filter on right hand case and same bolt on the bottom of each side case which also have two screen type filters. You have do them all. Careful not to overfill, use the sight glass. Seems right around 700 cc. 

Thanks! 

What is the correct amount? Seems like instruction manual should be correct with the amount of oil?

1 hour ago, oni nou said:

if it has a sight glass then fill the gearbox up till the oil covers half of the sight glass which will probably be 700cc as you were told.

900cc will be the amount it holds when new if no oil has ever been put in the engine........if you then drain the oil , not every bit drains out; some will remain in the engine so if you put 900 cc in; it will be too much.

If your engine has a sight glass you do not need to know how much oil goes in,that is one of reasons it was invented.

Also make sure your bike is level/stood vertical when you fill the oil halfway up the sight glass.

Hello

Ok, then I have to drain some oil tonight. And have an eye on the glass instead.

One more question. Is there only on drain plug on the engine? (under)

I can see two that could be plugs as well on the front if the engine. Below the exhaust pipe.

What are these for??

Thanks!

56 minutes ago, lineaway said:

We have had several riders that overfilled the bikes, make sure it`s in the sight glass. I also got more oil out tilting the bike far to each side with everything removed.

Hello,

Thanks! Do you also know this? 

I can see two that could be plugs as well on the front if the engine. Below the exhaust pipe. What are these for??

The one is a pressure relief valve. Interesting that there are two different size washers available. Adjustment by shim thickness? Have no idea about the other until I pull a motor apart.

Edited by lineaway

32 minutes ago, lineaway said:

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/off-road/models/yz250fx  The one is a pressure relief valve. Interesting that there are two different size washers available. Adjustment by shim thickness? Have no idea about the other until I pull a motor apart.

Hello,

Ok, thanks. 

I dont follow your link? 

The other screw (a normal allen headed screw, probably with a natural metal finish, not shiny) just below the one mentioned by lineaway, is an engine locking bolt which is used for locking the engine at top dead centre, such as when checking valve clearances.  If ever you remove it don't lose the special washer under the screw head.

I recommend you download the "2009 to 2012 Evo (4 stroke) engine" document under Trials Service Manuals on the last link given by lineaway.  It describes how to strip, check and reassemble the motor.  Whilst you shouldn't have to be doing that on a new bike (not yet, anyway!) it is all useful information.

As far as I know the 2017 motor is very similar, if not identical, to the 2012 version.

Edited by portman

11 hours ago, portman said:

The other screw (a normal allen headed screw, probably with a natural metal finish, not shiny) just below the one mentioned by lineaway, is an engine locking bolt which is used for locking the engine at top dead centre, such as when checking valve clearances.  If ever you remove it don't lose the special washer under the screw head.

I recommend you download the "2009 to 2012 Evo (4 stroke) engine" document under Trials Service Manuals on the last link given by lineaway.  It describes how to strip, check and reassemble the motor.  Whilst you shouldn't have to be doing that on a new bike (not yet, anyway!) it is all useful information.

As far as I know the 2017 motor is very similar, if not identical, to the 2012 version.

Hello,

Many thanks!!