Climber clutch trouble

strugglinon

After finally getting my '93/'94 Climber 280 rebuilt on Monday. The clutch is slipping like crazy. Post build I noticed gear oil weeping from the kick start/gear shaft seal so Martin at SWM Moto sorted my out.

after rebuild number 3 the clutch slips terribly. Prior to this it had 10W40 in it. It now has ATF. I gave also replaced the clutch top basket as one of the fingers was missing. 

Nothing else has changed.

any help or comments please, I'm baffled!

Hmmm, that'd be a bugger. I'll check tonight.

suppose it'd run with one Spring missing if I have to put the original back in?

but I'll check numbers and measure them both tonight, thanks for the info fella.

its so close to being ready to trial, nearly there!

1 hour ago, tshock250 said:

These weren't designed to use ATF, I'd be looking at a proper trials clutch fluid if you don't find anything else wrong.

Never used ATF in a rotax, but have used it for years in a BSA clutch with no ill effect. Don't think this is the problem IMO.

spoke to Richard Allen today, he also recommends using a good light gear oil. Got some Putoline today.

Martin at SWM Moto thinks I've mixed up the driven steel plates as there's one that's 1.5mm thick whereas the rest are 1mm.

He's pretty sure that the clutch basket with the 6 studs in have remained the same size but I'll check them both tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice lads.

The clutch is sorted.

The basket I'd got from SWM Moto was the same part number, so that ruled that out. Everything else was in place.

b40rt had pointed me to another link regarding clutches. I degreaser then went over the driven steel plates with emery cloth. Cleaned them off the hey presto, working clutch.

just goes to show huh?

thanks for all you advice lads. Invaluable!!

i do have another issue though, I'm not sure the disc valve is set correctly.

it revs to the moon when off the choke.

do any of you good people have the set up details for the disc valve and whether I need to be at TDC or so many degrees before??

bloody hard to find details on these Climbers.

Check for air leak first, inlet tract if loose could be the problem.

Not sure if climber disc valve timing the same as air cooled, if it is - lock crank at TDC, disc is just starting to cover port. I'll try and find the diagram. Sure Martin has it somewhere on his site.

• 2 weeks later...