Why do we ride trials?

dadof2

3 hours ago, jonnyc21 said:

I hope my daughter can reply immature when someone asks about my age and riding trials when I am in my 80's... :icon_salut:

Yes, that is a description I could happily live with. Fortunately I think my daughter has thought of me that way ever since she was about 5.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, trapezeartist said:

Yes, that is a description I could happily live with. Fortunately I think my daughter has thought of me that way ever since she was about 5.

I guess I have to work on that one, I think my daughter thinks I am a bit on the eccentric side but haven't managed immature or crazy and she's soon to be 15...  :rotfl:

Oh and I seem to recall I didn't answer the question...

I ride trials because I like to compete against myself and don't like to go fast enough to brake myself doing it.  So I got a trials motorcycle and bicycle and my daughter joined me with the same and wife decided she liked the trials motorcycle but didn't opt for the bicycle...

Win, win, win!  :thumbup:

Edited by jonnyc21

A doctor at the local hospital told me why I ride trials

A few years ago I got a burn on my leg worth seeking medical attention when I landed on top of the exhaust, went to local hospital A&E dept and when being checked by the doctor he asked "how did you do this?" and he started reading my details on the chart.

"Ah... motorbike" I reluctantly replied, knowing that doctors don't like people riding motorbikes.

Dr then says "I understand. You are 55 years old. I'll bet you fell off your Harley"

Due to my dislike of Harleys I get a bit rattled and say "no way would I ride a Harley, it was a trials bike"

Dr says "Ah, you haven't grown up then yet hey?"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ridgrunr said:

I'm sorry, this is going to be a long rant, as I've been struggling with this and trying to come to some sort of answer for your question for myself.  So this is more for me trying to figure stuff out for me than anything, so you can probably stop reading this right now.

I've thought a lot about this recently, as I'm now 62 and sometimes wondering why I still load up the bike and all the gear, get up at 5:00 am and drive 300 miles one way to get a Trials competition.  It's turned into a love/hate relationship.  I've ridden bikes most of my life.  Started in 1967 on a Honda Trial 90.  Didn't know it back then, but I was trying to ride Trials (feet up) way back then on that Trail 90.  I love the whole idea of Trials, the technique involved and have been competing since 1975, but the sport and has changed a lot since I rode that first event on the banks of the Mississippi river outside Blytheville, Arkansas.

I really got into it seriously in the late 80's when my son decided he wanted to ride MotoCross like his friends (he was about 7 years old), but I didn't want him getting busted up (like his friends were) so I found and rebuilt a 74 TY80 for him, sold my third TY250 and bought a TY350 for me and off we went chasing Trials.  We had a great time for twenty-five years, bought a few bikes, got a few bumps and bruises, but neither one of us ever broke anything or spent a night in a hospital.  That's one thing I REALLY like about Trials.  Fun is high but injuries are few.  You probably don't want to know how I feel about the new TrialsCross, but that's another rant.  Now he's grown and has kids of his own and is working hard to get his life going, which is as it should be.  He'll occasionally go with me still, but 8 times out of 10 times I'm heading out alone.

I find I beat myself up a lot, cause I'm unable or unwilling to ride what they call "the fun stuff" anymore.  A four foot vertical wall does not look like fun anymore.  I REALLY worry about getting hurt now as it takes so stinking long to heal up,  and I have to think about that 300 miles I have to drive to get after the meet.  I don't think I've ever been a great rider, but I've mostly been an ok rider.  I'm pretty good with technique, but not so good on the big.  Can't hop.  I've always been real comfortable in the Intermediate (4th out of 7 classes), but either the sections are getting bigger or I'm getting more chicken, cause I often find myself wondering "what the hell are they thinking!" when I look at some of those obstacles.  So I have a choice of attempting it, and getting a 5 and maybe getting hurt or just taking a 5 and wondering why I bother as there's not much fun in taking a 5.  Pretty soon I'm only riding 5 sections out of the 8 per loop, and what's the point in that?  I used to be in the top two or three in the class, but now I'm usually dead last, at least tripling the score of the winner.  I really don't expect to win anymore, but I do need to at least be able to ride the sections. 

I guess I can't expect to ride like I did at 35.  I understand that, but I'm still in great shape (I work out every day), have good balance and all, even a new bike, a 300 Evo, but I just won't ride the big stuff anymore.  Our 2017 season is starting again in three weeks and I'm wondering what to do.  I can either just bag it, or swallow my ego and drop down to Sportsman.  The problem with that is that those sections are almost too easy and just not that much fun.  I took first place both times last year when I tried Sportsman and quite honestly felt like a sandbagger.  7 points in the Sportsman class, 67 points in the Intermediate. Doesn't make any sense. I find it interesting; in our club we have three Champ riders, but there's 8-10  Intermediate riders and 10 or more Sportsman riders at an event, yet 80% of the time spent setting sections is spent on those three Champ riders.  The Sportsman class sections are pretty much an after thought and usually pretty lame. 

I'm thinking this year about forgetting about the competition all together.  In out club we have an option to ride "Open" which means we can pretty much ride what ever line we want to, but if I sign up for "intemediate Open" no matter how I score, I'll take last place, which is no big deal as that's where I end up most meets anyway.  But at least that way I have the option of riding the Sportsman line if a particular obstacle looks too ugly and not have to just punch a 5 and not ride the section at all.  I'll get to ride all the sections that way at least and quite frankly I could pretty much not care less about that two dollar medal anymore.  I just want to ride some fun stuff, pretend like I'm 32 instead of 62 and enjoy the day out.  I'm retired now, and have time to ride, but there's not many guys close to me to ride with, so I usually end up going out alone which is one reason why I do like to go to the meets, just to spend the day and ride with some other guys who like bikes too.

So what I guess it comes down to, is sucking it up and uploading up the bike and gear in three weeks, dropping my ego and go to the meet, sign up for Open or drop a class and enjoy the day out with the guys and ride the stuff that I don't feel like I'll die on, or just bagging it and staying home.  Again I apologize for the rant.  I'm sure no one else out there is wondering these things like I do.  If you are, and figure it out, I'd love to know the answer.

Love it, but you are doing it wrong. Leave Friday morning (Or Saturday) and get there when you can and come home Sunday night or Monday since you are retired. Here in New Mexico that is the way we ride trials. The camping is the best part.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, breagh said:

Reading ridgruns post shows not all 's better in uncle Sam land than old Blighty.

No living Scotsman would drive 300 miles to a trial let alone stop drinking at 5am just to get there on time.

Driving 700 each way is my record, so far...

I started riding trials in late 73 at 12 going on 13 . We got a TL125  'cause the TY80 wasn't available yet ... I always loved the challenge , against myself not others and the atmosphere always present at trials events ... I had previously been in the NETRA jr. enduro series and although fun and I won alot , I was alot happier ridding trials . Time warp to 2004/5 and I'm a single dad with 3 kids . And I rediscover trials ... Find a old Fantic ??? and get right back into it .

Now here I sit , about to turn 57 and I've got a really trick Fantic and all the cool toys to go with it . And a young son who has lost interest in the cool reflex I put together for him . (so I had a riding buddy ...) And I've been pondering the ?? why ? I've got a 1200 mile round trip to go riding at a proper event , on a good day I can do well in the expert class , on a off day novice can be tough ... So I ride intermediate mostly ...

But why ? Because a bad day riding trials is still better than just about anything else I do ... And it's about all I do that is for me . I also greatly enjoy the company of the folks I go see and play trials rider with too ! And not much makes me feel better than cleaning that damned section on the last loop .:)  So yeah I'm a little selfish and I do it just for me to feel good .  Could be doing alot worse things ....

Glenn 

• Like 2

The most fun on a trials bike for me is exploring new areas with a group of friends, or practicing with friends.

I stopped riding properly in '97, and am just slowly getting back into it. Really enjoying the new venues, and catching up with friends.

As for the competition, Don't really care, I ride a grade down from intermediate, but if its too easy I'll make my line more challenging. This means that I loose a few extra points. But it is way more fun and enjoyable this way.

I try to clean everything for the challenge, not for the score.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I have always liked trials from the start of my interest in motorcycles in 1974/75, first bike I ever rode was a OSSA 250mar that a friend had. 

I couldn't afford any thing trials related back then, so it was just old Road bikes c50 etc. 

Then once I was old enough I rode on the road. 

Then the being of last year I wanted an old two stroke, but there fetching silly money for road bikes. 

So I thought get an old trials bike as they were still within my budget. 

Once I had one, I decided to try my hand at the sport before it got to late. 

I'm really loving getting out on the old Beamish Suzuki. 

Edited by shakennstirred
  • Like 2