Model 199 Flywheel Swap

herman

Hello all-

I got a tip from a fellow 199 rider about swapping out the stock flywheel on my 350 for a 250 flywheel.

Is there a model year reference that will work? I see several flywheels from early 1970's for model 49's.

Thanks, Herman

• Like 2

Ignition side or clutch?  Any ignition flywheel will swap as long as it's from a Sherpa. Pursang looks the same but won't work as I've tried one, I think it was the timing that was different but a long time ago now.

Clutch flywheels are different shapes and some may foul the inside of the later 199 style casing, get one from a 250 that has the same casing to be sure. Some models had the really light, thin clutch weight, an M159 motor I have has one

• Like 1

If your talking about ignition side you might not want a m49 ( VAR41-9)flywheel about 2.4kg against 2.8kg that you probably have now (VAR41-52)) where as the 250 later flywheels (VAR41-51) m124 on are around 1.7kg. Well that's from my scales they probably vary a little bit.

A lot of 250/350 Alpinas (m137 on I think) had the VAR41-51 flywheels so it might be easier to find one from a Alpina as there seems to be a fair amount of Alpina parts on eBay in the states.

• Like 2