A few questions for a 7 year old rider

Adamd

Hello to all, I hope this is the correct place to post. My son I 7 next month and a keen biker, been riding a pw50 for 3 years, I bought him a beta mini trial last year to get into trials but he never really took to it so am in the process of buying him an oset 16. We live near Helmsley North Yorkshire and I was wondering which club would be best to join and how many conducted trials are on around the area if any one could give me any info. Also are most youngsters riding osets these days, we did watch a conducted trial last year at farndale, it was only a small turn out but all the kids had osets. Adam. 

Edited by Adamd
Added more

Not to be negative Adamd, but as Dad`s we seem to expect more out of our kids. At 7 years old the kid just wants to be out and about. Not really into an event, but is ok with being there.  My kid drove me nuts till I figured out just to let him do what he wants. Every kid I have seen go the electric route seems to disappear. My kid started on the PW 50 at 3 and was on the Beta mini trial before five, which lasted about a year. Went through 2 ty 80`s and then the full size gas gas 80. About twelve he started riding full size bikes. Point is he was about 14 years old when he actually started to enjoy riding an event. At 15 he just took off and could actually ride. It was after 12 years of riding trials that he actually looked were he was going, not seeing who was scoring and who was watching and taking videos. Point is enjoy your kid, have fun with it. Just don`t expect him to take to trials like a duck does to water. My son`s 19 now and one of our club`s best riders. Best part is he is my best riding buddy. Enjoy it while you can.   

• Like 4

Thank you bultobill and lineaway for your replys, I have looked at Scarborough mc, I used to go to a few trials there myself and being able to make use of low north camp for pactice is a big bonus but from Helmsley it is quite a long way and I assume all there events are held up there? The distance isn't a massive issue but due to finishing work at 5 I wouldn't be able to get too the night trials. I see york club have a few trials local to me , they are classed as adult and youth, if they do not specifically mention conducted trial won't they do them?? 

As for the bike and my motives for getting my son into trials I didn't really want to go down the electric route but due to been quite short in the leg he just can't get on with the mini trial, the power also comes in very aggressive and he also struggles with getting a good reach on the front brake and the back brake pedal even at full adjustment has quite a lot of travel so not very positive. So I feel the oset will hopefully give him a good start and then maybe in a year or so skip the petrol autos and get him on something with a clutch when his legs have grown a bit! 

As for getting him into trials i am not wanting to push him to be the next world champion or anything I just want him to enjoy riding motorbikes and I think if i can take him to some trials he will meet other children doing the same and just enjoy himself if he 5s every section or cleans them, as long as he wants to go to the trials and ride his bike I will be happy. I started riding bikes when I was a little older, about 11, I was lucky to have a farm to ride round with my cousin of a similar age, we used to ride every weekend and loved it, I think it made a big difference having a friend to ride with instead of just following "dad" around so that plays a big part in my reasons for wanting to get him into trials. 

Trials is great for the kids and wish you both the best. I had the opposite problem with my son. He was always tall. Everyone always expected more of him since they thought he was older. My son was 6 foot tall before his 11th birthday. Luckily he has stopped at about 6 foot 4 plus, just shy of another inch. When I was a kid I could ride to our main  trials area in about ten minutes. As long as I had fuel, that`s where I was daily.