Just what is the best modern Trials bike?

johnnyboxer

I know I'll get 101 different answers & opinions ......BUT

Which is the best to ride for a Clubman?

I've ridden and owned a 4rt for the last 10 years on & off 

I an missing out by not riding a modern 2T?

i've had a go on a mates '16 Beta 2T & really liked it

Very different to ride and l thought it was good 

So which newer bike is best in your opinion ?

Straight out of the crate I would say Beta just shades it ahead of TRS, but it is very very close between all of them. If I were buying a new bike it would most likely be a 4RT which is probably the least competitive.

• Like 1

Whether it's considered the champs or the clowns bike, buy the one you really want and to hell with the consequences. Buying with the heart, not the head, is usually impractical but for me gives more satisfaction. Mick Jagger obviously bought with the head. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dadof2 said:

Straight out of the crate I would say Beta just shades it ahead of TRS, but it is very very close between all of them. If I were buying a new bike it would most likely be a 4RT which is probably the least competitive.

which bike do you ride now dadof 2  ? and how have you come to this expert opinion do you get to try all  bikes ? why would you buy  the least competitive bike strange !

Edited by on it
grammer mistake

Vertigo... Looks the best.. rides awesome.. 4 different maps that really make a difference.. want smooth power delivery for great traction, you got it, want a snappy response for getting up bigger stuff.. push a button and you've got that too, only thing I'd think about changing mine for is a different colour :-)

• Like 1

Nothing can match the engine of a 300 gasgas (unless its just too powerful for you, usually is for most clubmen). Dont really care what anyone else says, (lol) ive ridden everything and the torque and smoothness is unparalleled. 

As for a complete bike, the usual rule of thumb is if you like a beta you will probably hate everything else, if you like everything else you will probably hate a beta. 

IMO the best ever clubman bike was the scorpa sy250, unfortunately no longer on the go

Edited by faussy

Personally I'd agree with faussy regarding the engine of the 300 gas gas. I've ridden most modern bikes and I like each one for different things. So in my experience the best trials bike is not available because it would be a combination of all the best bits from each bike.

My personal preference order at the moment:

1. Gasgas

2. TRS

3. Beta

4. Montesa

5. Vertigo

6. Scorpa

7. Sherco

My order is based on ride ability (how it performs and feels), build quality, reliability and cost in that order.

On 09/02/2017 at 10:39 AM, on it said:

which bike do you ride now dadof 2  ? and how have you come to this expert opinion do you get to try all  bikes ? why would you buy  the least competitive bike strange !

The original question was "Which is the best to ride for a Clubman?" I have a choice of bikes to ride, but I do not get to try all bikes. However when we have our local practice sessions there is a very good range of bikes and rider ability. At these sessions there is a lot of discussion and scrutiny of the bikes. I also observe trials from evening club trials up to national championship level. Based on that my feeling / opinion is that out of the crate the Beta will suit a greater number of riders than other marques. Not that it is a better bike but just that its riding position, suspension, gearing and engine characteristics seem not to need changing whereas I find more owners of other bikes are changing gearing, bars, shocks, compression etc etc.

As I said all the modern bikes are pretty close, its just some have odd quirks. I have had many bikes, mainly 300cc and over 2Ts and the only bikes I ever actually disliked were TYZ250 (riding position) and Aprilia and Armstrong with the slug like unresponsive motors.

Why would I buy a 4RT? I like the build quality and as its 39 years since I last rode a 4T in a trial I just fancy a change. Although maybe not as competitive as 2T it will be any amount good enough for me.

When I was riding regularly and practiced plenty I had no problem with a 300 2T but now I feel a bit less power and easier starting may suit me more. I rode a friends 4RT a few years back and with the exception of big steps felt more comfortable on it than on my own 2T.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, dadof2 said:

The original question was "Which is the best to ride for a Clubman?" I have a choice of bikes to ride, but I do not get to try all bikes. However when we have our local practice sessions there is a very good range of bikes and rider ability. At these sessions there is a lot of discussion and scrutiny of the bikes. I also observe trials from evening club trials up to national championship level. Based on that my feeling / opinion is that out of the crate the Beta will suit a greater number of riders than other marques. Not that it is a better bike but just that its riding position, suspension, gearing and engine characteristics seem not to need changing whereas I find more owners of other bikes are changing gearing, bars, shocks, compression etc etc.

As I said all the modern bikes are pretty close, its just some have odd quirks. I have had many bikes, mainly 300cc and over 2Ts and the only bikes I ever actually disliked were TYZ250 (riding position) and Aprilia and Armstrong with the slug like unresponsive motors.

Why would I buy a 4RT? I like the build quality and as its 39 years since I last rode a 4T in a trial I just fancy a change. Although maybe not as competitive as 2T it will be any amount good enough for me.

When I was riding regularly and practiced plenty I had no problem with a 300 2T but now I feel a bit less power and easier starting may suit me more. I rode a friends 4RT a few years back and with the exception of big steps felt more comfortable on it than on my own 2T.

thanks for that dadof2 it was i have just come off a 4rt and onto a beta a 2016 and i wanted to know why you would do it the other way round  , as you say 4rt was good on rocks but i found it was bad on banks would just stop and spin for no reason . there are a lot of betas around here so everyone can not be wrong ? time will tell