Hi, from North East Newbie after advice

chris100

Hi there.

Sooo, I have been road riding for a few years, but now I am keen to get into some trials riding. And could do with a bit advice on getting started :)

I was thinking about getting a 125 to learn on, would that be powerful enough for a tall adult?

Also, can anyone recommend somewhere in the North East where I could practise? (I am based near Newcastle but I dont mind travelling to find a good location) And maybe some training might be a good idea...

Cheers!
Chris

Hi, loads of opinions on bikes, everyone has theirs and none are wrong, just based on experience.

A modern 125 is capable of doing pretty much anything  then again a 250 is perfectly manageable with practice and many prefer the extra power.Thats before you decide on 2 stroke or 4. Assuming you want a modern bike buy the best you can justify, again people will advise on different makes depending on their experience. Beta 200 was always described as ideal starter bike but not many around.

look at calendar on here and come along to any of the local trials(wooler this weekend) then you can ask people etc you will find everyone helpful, maybe find someone with bike for sale  There's also a dealer in Blyth offroadmoto if you  want to look at bikes new or used.

local practice place is warden law at sunderland,they have an area if look up  kartingnortheast you pay to use it. If get a bike join club and get licence then you'll get plenty advice if need it start on easy course and can always skip any sections you don't like at first. Best way to learn is to watch others and go do it

• Like 3

I'm pretty much a newbie too, and I've yet to buy my first bike. Some people advised a 125 to start out and others advised a 250. The one consistent piece of advice was to avoid anything over 250.

I rode a 200 Beta at a trials experience day and it was entirely manageable. I could imagine that with a few more goes I might occasionally be wanting a bit more oomph, so I will be buying a 250 almost certainly. If the right 200 came along I would be happy with that, but it seems unlikely because they're up on the same shelf with hen's teeth and rocking-horse s**t.

• Like 1

Don't get too hung up on the CCs, they don't tell the full story on engine character. Different makes, models and even years can be very different. For example beta and gas gas 250s are very different as the beta has a flywheel weight (although it is removable).

Personally I prefer the opposite extremes of a lively rev happy 125 or running a higher gear on a torquey 300, but didn't find out until after buying a 250.

If possible test ride whatever is in good condition and within budget, if it feels manageable then buy it.

• Like 1

I started (recently) on a cheap and cheerful 125 Gasgas, it's been a joy to ride (there have been a couple of times when I would have got into trouble on a bigger bike) ... it'll have to go soon as I've bought a '70s TY175, which has exactly the same amount of power on paper but will allow me to enter twinshock competitions.

I'm tallish and not remotely light, the lack of power hasn't held me back at all considering my skill level :)

• Like 2

I rode a '17 Gas Gas 125 for the past six months as a 62 year old novice and it did everything I wanted.  I switched to a '17 Scorpa, because their full kick start  gear makes it easier for me to start, due to my bad knee not getting along with the partial gear on the kicker of the Gas Gas pro motor. I got another 125, as I have no need for more at the lower levels.  Good luck!

• Like 1