Thoughts on this ...?

turbofurball

55 minutes ago, turbofurball said:

Possibly controversial, but this looks fantastic to me:

Linky link

I'd love to see a video of it in action :)

Take a closer look at it .the Down tubes have been cut and replaced with thin tin bolted on to the head and there's no bash plate as such .the first time you come off a decent jump it will bend its self like a banana .waste of a good bike why would you .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, technowaldo said:

Take a closer look at it .the Down tubes have been cut and replaced with thin tin bolted on to the head and there's no bash plate as such .the first time you come off a decent jump it will bend its self like a banana .waste of a good bike why would you .

Indeed, looks structurally disastrous.

nice  workmanship but what class dose it go in ? twin shock not fair on the old bikes is it.as not from twin shock era !  ,normal class not right for it ,against the modern bike ? So its a bit of a nothing bike then. So  dose a club have to make yet another class for it to ride in ?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, oni nou said:

To people that feel that it is not structurally sound  may like to take into account that it has been built by John Bliss of Cotswold Motorcycles well known by many for his special builds.....this is not the first conversion he has undertaken. you may like his MAJESTY like Yamaha conversions that have 4t Jailing engines fitted .Chris Koch an excellent rider from the south east owns/owned  a Cotswold bike  so its probably not the dog that you may think it is.

Google 'Cotswold trials motorcycles images'  to see what he builds

Say what you like you can see from the pictures that the Down  tubes are replaced with a thin tin structure bolted on to the head with 2 bolts transforming the engine into a stressed member even if the tin survived a jump which I doubt it would your relying on the engine to take it and as hank said they are just cheap junk

34 minutes ago, hanks said:

Them engines are junk from new. Sorry to say but that thing is a waste

That's not my experience, I've been into monkeybikes for 15 years and aside from a couple of dodgy exceptions these motors have been quite decent. Yes they aren't Honda quality, but they'll run fine for 10 years and they cost less than a trials top end rebuild.

I was talking to Jon Bliss a while back, while waiting at a section.  I asked him about spares for the motor,  He said that if anything major occurs, then you just spend £180 on a brand new engine.  However, he said that the motors are very reliable.

Two or three similar bikes (they are all slightly different) built by Jon Bliss regularly compete at Clubman level in the South West. They are competitive alongside modern Monoshocks and obviously with Twinshocks.  

Most of these bikes from Jon have the fuel tank in the top tube, like this one:

Image1-1-edit.jpg