Bent frame

dwb5151

I took my 2011 sherco 290 out the other day and there was a clinking noise coming from the bike.  I thought it was the chain slipping off the front  sprocket. But when i had a look at it the chain was hitting the frame.  I took my bike down to my local dealer and the frame was bent in down at the legs causing the chain to hit the frame. There was hardly any gap between the swing arm and the frame. We also noticed that the foot rest was sitting up at an angle.We used a crowbar to bend the frame out. But what i don't understand is what caused. it. I haven't hit the foot rests at all and somehow the frame has managed to bend in. The other thing i noticed was the frame bend out of shape relativity easy. Any ideas on what caused it, i know the 2011 sherco's did have frame problems any advice would be appreciated many thanks Dw.

No the frame was fine that's what I don't understand but now I am going to have to get it strengthen. So the bike  will probably need to be taken apart and get the frame strengthen and powered coated. Do you think it would be alright to ride at the moment there's no cracks in the frame but I don't understand why it bent out of shape so easily. I've rode it for 4 hours since the frame was bent out and the gap between the frame and swing arms seem the same but if I come off the bike and hit it is there a chance it could snap off?

If the frame is bending that easily (which it should not) It would be a really good idea to not ride it and take it apart and check everything out Very closely. Sounds like something has ''let go'', would fully check frame all over for cracks and separation ,possibly your swingarm pivot bolt is broken off or very loose...motor bolts. Good luck

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

My son`s 2012 Sherco the frame was like Spaghetti. Started with the center bolt from the triangle to the cylinder head. No matter, loktite etc this bolt would just come out almost every ride. finally went to a long one and double nutted it. I also had to carry a 5lb hammer to straighten the pegs out all the time. And yes it would rub the chain.