How many trials do you ride

cragvale

We generally have 12 championship events a year, two of which are two day. So 14 event days in total. 

If I just rode events I'd still be a novice. 90% of my riding is practice outside of events. It took me three years to progress from a total trials novice to intermediate (which around here is the bottom rung of the experts, although there's a huge gap between me and the guys that hop in circles all day) . 

Edited by heffergm
  • Like 2

Nowadays (aged 58), 20 trials competitions and 70-100 practice sessions per year.

Been riding trials competitions for 41 years and I've never come near being an Expert. My skill level has always been somewhere near the middle of the bell curve.

• Like 2

All the above replies confirm to me just how healthy is the system in the UK. Lived in France the last few years  (Gard) basics here is licence c.£200.00  one day event entries c. £25.00 min. Actual official events within a 250 mile radius of home 10/year. with these figures you could drive 5000 miles and spend £500.00 on licence and entries to do 10 trials!......a sharp Br exit for me this year, having said that the "classic" 3 day trials are worth crossing the channel for.

• Like 3

Living in Guernsey there is a very limited amount of events - about 13 in total so I have been riding in the Kia and ACU twinshock events for the past couple of years. The cost of getting off the Island is expensive but the flip side of that is riding different sections / venues every time as opposed to riding the same area 3 times a season which is the norm on an Island with limited land suitable for trials.

Most of the time I can usually find a Saturday trial to ride in too which makes the weekend better value for money.

• Like 1

I started when I was about 14, riding almost every weekend (sometime both days), back then I had a bit of land I could practise so spent a lot of time on the bike; continued riding until I was about 21. However funds were limited, so bike and gear was limited; however made it up to non expert and came close to the SW title a couple of times

Had a break for about 17 years and started again April last year, started as riding in between my other hobby (clay shooting); once or twice a month with some practise. However got the bug again and doing more and more, back up to most weekends, however done a couple of days back to back and finding bike fitness an issue. But currently back up to sportsman in the SW championship and clubman for most other club events, but finding the SW sections at clubman level tend to require more hopping which I'm having to work harder at this days!

This time around I know that expert or even clubman expert (for anything above a grade c trial) is out of my reach, but reckon 3/4 years a younger person could make it!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

It is very apparent that in the Yorkshire / Lancashire area we are currently  spoil for choice, as quite easy to do a trial within an hours drive most weekends.

Currently doing around 3 a month weather permitting.

Cleanorbust - I spoke to a rider at a trial recently who did around 70 trials last year (which for me is too much) ) and was wondering what average rider did which prompted post.

Oni nou - Keep going you give us all hope.

• Like 1

I reside in da US of A.  (MURICA!!)

OK got that out of my system, I believe our class structure to be a bit different than across the pond,  Local events for me are with the MOTA organization.  above that we have our Nationals (harder sections, but sometimes the class name is the same)

anyways, I ride the MOTA series and we have 12 Events that go towards Year end standings. (members must work 2 events in order to qualify for year end standings)

This year we have 2 Vintage events scheduled for fun

So if I can swindle............ beg...... borrow.......steal...... purchase beer for........... a twinshock I will ride 12 and work 2 events this year.

(sometimes clubs will hold a fun event just to get together, ride, eat food and :beer: )

All events (except the ones put on by my club) are a minimum of 1.5 hours drive one way. 

I do try to practice, but with other life commitments, children, work, wife, Netflix or laziness. It doesn't happen as often as it should.

I started at age 6 on a TY80 in 1979 and rode until 15 in Novice class, sold bike (stupid).  Got back into it about 17 yrs ago. Started back in Novice, then spent some time in Intermediate, rode Sportsman for quite a few years, moved up to Advanced for another long stretch of time took first place for the season and moved up to Expert (our top class).  I have ridden Expert for the past 4 years and have consistently come in last place, but having a blast.  I am now 42 yrs old and round.  I need to practice more and get more comfortable on the bike so I can give that punk 19 yr old kid a challenge.   :lol:

(I have ridden one national event so far, was great fun)

But with this is my back yard now, I should be able to practice more often.

• Like 4

We're spoiled about here local AMCA clubs run about 35/40 trials with 70 miles of my bit.

Sacu probably about 20/30 trials within a similar distance.

Most clubs get 50+ for a club trial and Nationals can reach 100.

Most weeks there a choice of Trials or even an organised play,

Today we had 50 at out local trial and the other trial on likely had nearer 100 not bad considering it's freezing.

I probably ride 40 + club trials and an odd National really intermediate level these days.

• Like 1

I rode 5 events in 2015 (Senior-C) & 17 events in 2016 (Mix of Senior-INT, Intermediate, INT-45, Senior-B & SR-55). Hooked up with local Trials Club that rides every Sunday (weather permitting). Plan on attempting to ride SR-Clubman at NATC Eastern Region Nationals & Senior-B in NETA. If all goes well, I could compete in 20 or more events in 2017 and probably work/ride another 30-40 days helping to set up sections with my local club. I'm pretty content riding Novice, Sportsman or Intermediate lines, depending on weather and degree of difficulty on sections. Probably never get up to "Expert" level, since I started this sport in my late 50's.

• Like 1