Batteries nearly blown up!

Adamd

Ok so bought my son I used oset 16 racing yesterday, after we got home he spent a good hour or so riding so I put the bike on charge, standard bartteries and charger, went to it this morning and I could smell the batteries, anyway they are now dead hot and swollen up, surely the charger would cut off when they are full? Is this my fault for leaving them on too long or a battery or charger error?

faulty battery .  if its a standard sla charger, no they dont cut out they only reduce the current as the battery voltage comes up so if a battery is not taking a charge then the charger will still be pumping max current into it making it hot.  you can measure the output voltage of the charger to test it. I have seen car batterys do the same.

as with any battery its aways best to know approx how long it should take to charge then unplug them from the charger.. never leave any battery connected to a charger after they are fully charged .  even small AA batterys ( i have even seen these go bad )  

Edited by gwhy

I hold my hands up I left it on over night but I did not get any charging instructions with the bike. It's the standard charger, should I be contacting the shop where I bought the bike as I only bought it yesterday or would you say it's a direct result of leaving it on too long? 

just take the batterys and charger back and tell them what happened, also get them to test the charger. the fact that you left them on over night should not come into it as something,  either the charger or batterys are at fault  and this should not happen. If everything was working as it should then the voltage of the batterys should have come up as they were charging and this should in turn reduce the curretn from the charger until the battery voltage is the same as the charger voltage ( fully charged ) then no current would be flowing so no heat. ( but something went wrong ) the charger voltage may be to high so this will need to be checked.

Just now, Adamd said:

Yes 3 batteries 36v , he's given me wrong charger then, no wonder they nearly blow up, think I was lucky it didn't fire, side plastics on bike were even warm!

yes very lucky.. but  now you no that its the shops fault so should be able to get a new set of batterys and charger ... for peace of mind sla's very very rarely catch fire .... but can split and get acid gell evey where.  also if the 36v charger is also 3A then you are looking at around a 3-4 hour charge time.. ( flat to fully charged ) hope this helps you get it sorted out ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suzuki250 said:

how did you get on with the shop?

They were really good, apologised and admitted it was there fault giving my wrong charger, they offered me new batteries and car correct charger but ended up changing bike for a new one so I have a very happy boy tonight! 

• Like 1