Can GG wheels fit a Beta

mcman56

Can you fit 2004 Gas Gas wheels to a 2016 Beta?  (A friend wants to use them as spares.)  After taking some basic measurements on the rear wheels, it looks possible but would require sprocket and brake disk spacers plus wheel spaces so it doesn't look very practical.  Has anyone does this?

Edited by mcman56
state which wheel

It would be nice if there was an aftermarket kit to adapt various wheels between different manufacturers. FWIW, I measured '12 GasGas TXT Racing rear hub at about 143mm (5-5/8") wide, compared to 155.5mm (6-1/8") for my '16 Beta Evo 2T. Since the GG rear hub is about 12.5mm (1/2") narrower, I think you need to relocate brake rotor & sprocket further out as you suggested.

Perhaps it is worth starting a thread for possible wheel swaps...

Unfortunately Beta uses different hubs to the other manufacturers, as you've found the widths & spacing of sprocket & disc are different. Most of the other manufacturers share hubs & the rear wheels especially swap over

It's likely that as well as spacing the sprocket & disc the correct amounts which also need to be relative to the rim centreline/edge you would also need to make spacers to centre the wheel in the swingarm

Could be a lot of work that won't be as strong as the original parts due to longer bolts & the sprocket & disc no longer located on the inside to the hub casting

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

I answered my own question.  The GG wheel can fit a Beta but it takes 4 spacers, disk spacer, sprocket spacer plus right and left wheel spacers.  This is an '04 or so GG wheel on a 2008 Rev3.  My 2014 Beta wheel looks the same as the Rev3 but the Rev3 has a bit of a floating disk.  The GG disk locates on a lip on the hub where the Beta disk does not use the locating lip but I guess it could have been included..

FullSizeRender(4).jpg

FullSizeRender(5).jpg

FullSizeRender(6).jpg

FullSizeRender(7).jpg

Edited by mcman56
detail

The sprocket spacer is 0.326 inches. It has a step to center on the wheel and another step to center the sprocket. Extra wheel spacer on the sprocket side is 0.233".  The disk spacer is 0.198".  It has a counter bore on the wheel side because the GG wheel has a little step on that side.   Extra wheel spacer on the disk side is 0.147".