new fork seals leaking

mudyman

Hi all,

I have got a 1982 / TL320 in the workshop to get the rear end sorted with a new tyre, brake shoes chain and sprockets etc.. I was was quite surprised to see that where it has been standing a small amount of oil has been dripping from one fork leg. The seals are almost new (fitted in Okt. 2016) and the bike was used once for about 1/2 h before weather stopped me. The chrom and the seals seem fine. Can it be that air pressure is building up in the fork leg ? Does the fork cap have a bleeding valve and when it does should it work in both directions ? The forks are the last 35 mm Betors and silver coloured that just have one 35 mm x 47 mm x 10 mm seal (not like in 1981 where there were 2 with 7 mm stacked on top of another). A double lipped one (In Motion don´t have any at present) would probaly be a good idea but if its air pressure this won´t stop it leaking.

I don,t think air pressure should cause them to leak.It could be just a seal problem.Did you get them from a cycle shop or just a regular bearing supply shop? If it,s the latter maybe they are not hydraulic grade seals?

Hopefully others will chime in and correct me if I am wrong about this,but I think it could be a possibility.

If you want double lipped fork seals that fit a 35mm Betor fork then a 2002 to 2009 KTM SX 65 Ariete fork seals are great. I have them in my three Sherpas with no problems and one set is about 5 years old now and still fine. Graham.

Edited by bullylover

Hi all,

just had a bit of time to look at the forks again.

I took the fork cap off and it hissed (air pressure). The cap has a small grub screw with a spring loaded ball bearing (to release pressure in the leg I presume). I have cleaned all this as it was quite cloged up and almost certainly not working. The pressure could have occurred because the bike came in from the cold to the heated workshop and just started leaking as it stood around for a couple of months.

• Like 1