Engine braking

chris200

13 minutes ago, oni nou said:

It is particularly effective in the 4t engine at creating strong vacuum on the piston down stroke.

I.e. Induction stroke with throttle closed.

But curious to understand how does a valve in crankcase effect induction tract?

49 minutes ago, oni nou said:

It does not..... it releases engine braking effect of pressure in the crankcase that pushes against the bottom of the piston [on the down stroke] that would cause a braking effect

If the engine produced anywhere near the amount of crankcase pressure required to provide engine braking then surely the oil seals would be under huge pressure too ?

Longer duration cam lobes seem much more likely to be responsible for the reduction on later engines , Well to my mind anyway

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chris200 said:

If the engine produced anywhere near the amount of crankcase pressure required to provide engine braking then surely the oil seals would be under huge pressure too ?

Longer duration cam lobes seem much more likely to be responsible for the reduction on later engines , Well to my mind anyway

My thinking exactly.

std set up on 4t is no crank seal. 4 rt has separate oil for engine an gearbox so must be a seal between gearbox and crank on off side  ( there are posts about this blowing out if to much engine oil is used),

if crank pressure is the holy grail then if you take the dip stick out engine braking would increase??

project for  the weekend???

Edited by jimmyl
Error

Just now, jimmyl said:

My thinking exactly.

std set up on 4t is no crank seal. 4 rt has separate oil for engine an gearbox so must be a seal between gearbox and crank on off side  ( there are posts about this blowing out if to much gearbox oil is used),

if crank pressure is the holy grail then if you take the dip stick out engine braking would increase??

project for  the weekend???

I was thinking of measuring mine :D

Quite a few cars run the crankcase a less than atmospheric pressure to reduce oil consumption and the chance of oil leaks.This is done in combination with bleeding crankcase air into the inlet tract before and after the throttle. Engine braking is by vacuum on the top of the piston when the throttle is closed.

Altering the crankcase pressure alone would probably not have that much effect on engine braking as the pressure acting on the piston underside on the downstroke would be similar to the pressure on the upstroke, thereby cancelling each other out and giving little or no net braking effect. The piston moves at a leisurely 10 to 15 m/sec so you would not think air resistance would have much effect either.

Some cars are fitted with a throttle body damper that slows the rate of final throttle closure, this was done to remove jerkiness which was a problem on early EFI engines. This significantly reduces feeling of too much or sudden engine braking. Another way to reduce engine braking / pumping losses is to have variable valve timing and lift but 4Rts don't have this.

I would think the reduced 4RT engine braking is by a combination of reducing mass of air in crankcase, combustion chamber and subtle valve timing and throttle body actuation but its just a guess.

Just had a thought , Most fuel injection systems cut the fuel completely on the overrun for the sake of economy but what if they altered the ecu to inject a small amount of fuel, Just enough to provide a push down on the piston on the firing stroke ,That would definitely reduce engine braking . I think :unsure:

On 2/17/2017 at 11:24 PM, oni nou said:

The first part of the video shows the location of the reed valve at the bottom of the crankcase for those that are interested https://youtu.be/9raMMmxmJ8U

The reed valve appears to allow the crankcase to pressurise, but relieves a depression. Could the reed valve be something to do with the oil system. If you allow the crankcase to build up pressure, that pressure could be used to scavenge oil back to the tank (gearbox?) without needing a scavenge pump. I'm not familiar with that Honda engine but I think I remember someone saying the same oil lubricates engine and gearbox.