Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

sammyd173

Noise/ Maps

19 posts in this topic

Do these bike run quieter, i.e. with less 'popping', if run on richer or leaner maps? Or does the bike always sound the same at or near idle?

I ride around my property sometimes and a quiet bike is preferred: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

Different maps do affect the noise but only slightly. The best way to reduce noise is to make a small silencer extension that directs the escaping gas downwards. It may not sound much different at the bike but it makes an enormous difference to how far the sound carries.

Get some 1.5mm thick aluminium and and bend it to an upside down U shape same as existing silencer. The slot in the bottom only needs to be about 15mm wide. Fold / crimp the end. Fix the other end to the silencer with a large hose clip or cable ties. Needs to extend about 100 mm beyond existing silencer outlet.

On a 500 2T MX with this mod I could practice and sheep would continue to graze 60 to 100 yards away, without the mod they would all be cowering in the far corner of the field several hundred yards away.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

since when does a friggin beta have a MAP?  Those things are soo quiet to begin with that it just does not get much better

Is that Comifornia you live in? Reminds me of one of those overpriced hillside terraces that washes down the hill every time they get a good rain, and the tree hugging assholes there are just worried about noise since there are no trees left.

Edited by copemech
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks dadof2, great info. 

I bought that Beta since it was the quietest bike made. Replaced that with a Cota 260 which I have now. Living on the washed out hillside terrace that I do - the road to which is covered as I type with dirt that has been washed down by the rain - I only have two neighbors and they never complain about the noise, nor would they if I had the Vertigo. The real reason I need the bike to be quiet is for the hundreds of acres I poach in the canyons and mountains next to my house, where the tree hugging assholes would faint at the sight/ sound of a dirt bike crawling over the land, notwithstanding the fact that hundreds of tons of soil are being washed away by the rains. Anyway I didn't want to mention the real reason as I was sure I'd get jumped on for riding illegally. Not that I give a sh!t, quite frankly =)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will have to give Dadof2 more than 8hrs to advise on a quietness issue before getting rid and  buying a new bike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, sammyd173 said:

Do these bike run quieter, i.e. with less 'popping', if run on richer or leaner maps? Or does the bike always sound the same at or near idle?

I ride around my property sometimes and a quiet bike is preferred: 

 

Keep wearing that helmet and noise might be the least of your problems ....

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Christ, what a right bunch of miserable *******s hang out on this forum, eh? 8 replies and only one worthy comment to address the question, is this what these forums are supposed to be about? One **** that keeps posting Blade Runner links, another who has issues with where I live, and now the wise old safety police shows up. Quality stuff lads. I'm guessing the only one that actually owns a Vertigo is the one with the good post. Hopefully you lot can take out your frustrations with some riding this weekend - assuming you still ride. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And breath.  Now what's the problem flower ? To many bangs to the cranium. Mummy not give you enough attention ? Confused about your sexuality ?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, b40rt said:

And breath.  Now what's the problem flower ? To many bangs to the cranium. Mummy not give you enough attention ? Confused about your sexuality ?

Well that's just being nasty now. Talking of mothers, what would yours say if she saw what a mean-spirited person you've become? I'm sure she'd be disappointed. She'd say, "b40rt, why are you being mean to the other grown-ups on your motorcycle forum?

And you'd say, 'But mum, this man showed up and it was his first time in the forum and he posted a video of himself showing off riding around and it made me feel a bit jealous and angry, and he didn't even do the 'I'm a newb' thing or offer to put his flame suit on! And then the other men on there started being a bit mean and unfriendly and it made me want to join in with them.'

And your mum would say, 'Now b40rt, and that's a silly screen name by the way, I agree that the video was a bit much for a first post, but really, asking him about his sexuality? How old are you now?"

And you would just look down and the floor and feel like a bit of a c*nt. 

=)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just off the weeji board to my mummy, she agrees with you. 

But she also said to check your blood pressure, and when a cruel big boy suggests its not that smart to ride by yourself with a joke helmet and gopro (which are banned from competition here after Shumaker's accident) you over reacted just a tad.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

back on topic...  as I at least can comment on sound on a 4RT, having a Cota myself, you can try putting a 90 degree silicone elbo on the end of the pipe that points down as a low cost test of how much that helps, I have done and it really dose make a big difference in over all sound at a distance. 

 

Edited by jonnyc21
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sammyd173 said:

Christ, what a right bunch of miserable *******s hang out on this forum, eh? 8 replies and only one worthy comment to address the question, is this what these forums are supposed to be about? One **** that keeps posting Blade Runner links, another who has issues with where I live, and now the wise old safety police shows up. Quality stuff lads. I'm guessing the only one that actually owns a Vertigo is the one with the good post. Hopefully you lot can take out your frustrations with some riding this weekend - assuming you still ride. 

 

2 hours ago, sammyd173 said:

Well that's just being nasty now. Talking of mothers, what would yours say if she saw what a mean-spirited person you've become? I'm sure she'd be disappointed. She'd say, "b40rt, why are you being mean to the other grown-ups on your motorcycle forum?

And you'd say, 'But mum, this man showed up and it was his first time in the forum and he posted a video of himself showing off riding around and it made me feel a bit jealous and angry, and he didn't even do the 'I'm a newb' thing or offer to put his flame suit on! And then the other men on there started being a bit mean and unfriendly and it made me want to join in with them.'

And your mum would say, 'Now b40rt, and that's a silly screen name by the way, I agree that the video was a bit much for a first post, but really, asking him about his sexuality? How old are you now?"

And you would just look down and the floor and feel like a bit of a c*nt. 

=)

Wow ... well to be honest:

YOU are showing of a video whilst riding the quietest modern trials 4 stroke bike available so quite that you can ride through a flock of aries without disturbing them, see here:

But yours seems to be obviously louder and then asking how to get the bike quiter (again).

And then where your live, the forum is based in Britain and so are most members, the UK is a country that "invented" the English Garden there are as I know only Danes more picky then the British about gardening. And You are showing us grounds/properties with rumped tree and vegetation less, with plasticfoil like fences and gas containers in the main entrance. (even me - as a German!- is appalled at the desolation).

Then your other "equipment", here the kind of helmet of course you can do whatever you want, but firstly it's not imitative and second it is not legal. So much consideration could have paid to the other members of these forum to wear at least a real helmet?

So all in all your threat opening question gave the audience here a lot room for ironic answers, and in Britain are living the masters of ironic humor that is your problem, as how you shout in the forest the answer will be.

In my opinion you should wear better protection and the Honda-Montesa 4RT is in loudness a downgrade the bike will never be as quite as the Beta.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a lovely post Mr. Schrauber! Interesting to see how things are viewed by others in different countries. 

A couple of points - that's my garage, not my front entrance, that's a standard US gas can that I'm assuming you are seeing, we are in a perpetual drought in Southern CA so you'll have to forgive the fact that we have given up on landscaping. Also I'm British.

Silly me though - and I'm not being sarcastic - I posted this question in the Vertigo board, so I assumed everyone would understand I was asking about how quiet a VERTIGO was and if the maps on IT make a difference. Not the Beta. The video was an example of the reason I need a quiet bike  

As far as the helmet - it's a downhill MTB helmet. Designed for crashes down a mountain at 40 mph. I'm ridng simple obstacles in my driveway and topping out at maybe 8 mph. I have a trials helmet for everywhere else I ride. Your statement about consideration for other board members shows a level of etiquette I can only hope to understand some day! Anyway, don't watch any older videos from the '80' of riders like Tarres riding helmet-less while practicing riding up obstacles mortals like us wouldn't even consider...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now