199b Frame numbering.

chappo

Apologies everyone had trouble putting this on.

I know this topic has been covered before and I've searched all the site to try and recover it to no avail, hence asking the question.

I do recall the last topic being listed as trying to find the last bike produced, or similar wording.

14653 is documented as the last number but it's my understanding that there are several 199B's in Spain that are in the 14690 range.  I have 14644 here in western Canada.  As well I know 13456 is also in western Canada.  

To this topic and sorry to those who have read this before....... 

during franco era Spain all bikes that were produced by cemoto were carefully documented.  All bikes left the factory with matching numbers.  There could have been exceptions to this for factory bikes or internal usage bikes but anything exported was matching numbers and documented.  The government of the time kept extremely strict control of imports and exports and always made sure that duties were collected.  

Now nearer the end of bultaco the economy in Spain was changing and probably becoming more liberal.  Adding the strife at the factory between 79-83 it is likely some sequential numbering was lost.   So late 199B models were produced at a few different factories and it wouldn't surprise me if some numbers were incorrect.  But ... any model pre 1979 if it says for example M1994321 then you can be sure there were 4320 produced before that and so on.

Not to spark the matching numbers debate but it was commonplace for importers to swap out engines and thus even from brand new at the dealer level you may not have had a matching machine.  But I can tell you with great certainty that it did leave the factory matching. 

So you have a 199B Sherpa T that was likely built in early 1983.  My bike was assembled in march 83 and yours likely very close to the same time.  Maybe even the same week 

Steve  

ps : Dave renham worked at comerfords perhaps he could shed some light on the non matching numbers bikes 

Edited by stevem75

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 6:55 PM, 2stroke4stroke said:

I seem to remember in the UK, pre VAT, my pal's new Bultaco motor came in a separate box, and was a different number from the frame.

You are right. But this was up to the early 70's then changed. But the frame and engine should be within 50 of each other as they were built or imported  in batches This was unique to the UK market due to the reduced tax on kit supplied bikes and despite what many of us think on this island quite a lot of the rest of the world also bough these bikes at this time  which would have had matching frame and engine numbers.

So a late bike should have matching engine and frame numbers even in the UK.  

Stuart