Lower Back Burn

ss426a

He guys im still wet behind the ears i have  been practicing in back yard  tight turns ,off cambers and small logs after about 20 min lower back burns feels strained was wondering is that normal (just started riding it daily )  will bar risers help im 6 2 on a Techno or would a brace help  or just toughen up and work through it   Thanks guys 

Simple exercise ; lay flat on the floor , Lift your legs up and bend knees , place your palms against your knees and push into your chest with your legs while pushing against your knees with your arms , Then switch up and grab the outside of your knees with your hands and push your legs away from your body while pulling them in with your hands ... Alternate about every 15 seconds for 2 minutes to start and your lower back will feel the burn ... Best back exercise I've ever learned ! Oh and RELAX on the bike !!!

• Like 1

Yup perfectly normal. Beginning of season after winter layoff kills me even with going to the gym. You have to get used to a whole new riding position and as a newby you are probably much tighter in the core trying to hold the bike going where you want it to go. After a while you'll get used to the position and learn to relax and let your legs do the work of steering the bike. Unless you are really tall riser bars will just mess with your riding position and get you into bad habits. Make sure your bars are forward enough. A lot of guys start out with their bars too far back. This takes away a lot of the normal leverage you gain from opening up the rider space. The bars should be perpendicular to the ground or slightly forward. Remember to keep your knees bent and out from the bike and steer with pressure from your legs. When your back hurts take a break. Your body is telling you it's under stress and trying to do anything while a muscle is in spasm increases the risk of injury and will get you into bad habits that will pop out at the most inopportune time.

Don't worry, you'll get used to it. After a while you'll get back on a "normal" bike and wonder how anybody can ride the things.

• Like 2

You lose leverage with bar risers. The human body is  proportional. Your height has nothing to do with bar position as your arms should make up the difference. Seen Doug L`s. 

bar risers lately? In fact tall riders have way more advantage if they use it. Grasshopper like. My kid is over 6` 4` and he cannot ride a bike with risers as the leverage lost is valuable to basic skills. Every new Enduro rider coming into this sport wants risers! :rotfl:  

The funny thing looking back to the 70`s and 80`s bike stance, we would need 10 inch and taller bars for the new riders.    

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 1

Have to agree with Oni nou, making the bike as comfortable as possible would be the first thing i ever do to my bike. At 6'4'' i have to raise the bars with a 3/4'' spacer, or run higher bars. My neck and lower back just can't take the stock angle for very long. I'm 57 years old, ex-motocrosser, injured my neck in a bicycle/car accident. Comfort comes first. Would lower bars work better, probably, but it is of little value if your back aches after 20 minutes of riding and you have to call it a day.

• Like 2

I'm a old time enduro rider/ desert racer , I have my old Fantic and been back into Trials for about 12 or 13 years now . At a event around 7 years ago , Bob Ginder (of B&J Racing Fame) Jumped on my beloved 240 while I played on one of his tractor yamahas . He came back on the Fantic , asked me for a couple of allen wrench's and proceeded to adjust my bars and levers . Then he went off and rode her a few more minutes and then handed my bike off to one of his buddies . After a select few others rode my precious bike I got her back .(all the while while grinning riding his trick TY ). And I rode a couple practice sections that were set up ...And after the initial WTF! this is weird ! I relaxed and got a whole lot more comfortable on my own bike ! and I rode better that day .When I got home I painted marks on the bars and lever clamps , took pictures and got out a magnetic protactor and wrote all the angles down ! All of my other bikes to date have been set up as close as can be to the same angles . Bar and lever position is a major key to bike control !!! And I've said it before bob ,  But thanks again ...! 

• Like 1

Like I said, every new rider wants the bars higher. Reality, trials is all about body position. Which first means to bend your knees, not stand straight and tall. Watch any new rider and that is why they struggle with most obstacles. I am not being stubborn, that is what it takes to ride.  Sure I understand being old and sore as I have had plenty of injuries through the years.

• Like 1

Well at 6'2" he may just qualify as really tall. Taller bars might help but my main point is the OP is probably sore because it's a relatively new activity and it isn't at all uncommon for trials riders who are new or coming back from time off the bike to just want to lay down on some nice hard rock for a few minutes during the event to stretch the spine. I also want to make sure his bars are in the correct position before I recommend a change that can't be properly evaluated without making sure the basics have been covered first.

If you want to see a real tall rider look up world round pics of Bernard Cordonnier. At 6'6" he always looked like he was riding a mosquito.

Ah Bernard, Martin, Diego. Now I've made myself sad.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info my 55 year young back is adjusting better to more peg time. starting to relax a little bit more seems to help and bending knees is something I am working on.just trying to relax more it's harder than it looks for sure but very fun and challenging I'm also going to adjust bars a little bit more up try that  and see how that feels . Like I said more I'm riding it the less tight I feel I think that was some of back pain it is easing up . Also want to switch from my MX boots to trials boots seems like everyone recommends that for moving on pegs thanks again guys 

• 4 weeks later...

yup, as said before that's normal. It's amazing just how physical trials is as a sport....looks very calm and sedate, but its a great workout and like any workout one suffers after the first few.

My back hurts like hell after a ride, but if I ride regular basis it's not such a problem

On 20/02/2017 at 3:01 PM, oni nou said:

Anyway we will have to agree to differ on this as you are talking about a different level of riding than I am and any person reading this thread can make their own mind up about what set up is best for them; taking into account  how the bike is used.

To finish I can say from experience that after fitting 2cm high bar risers with 4 1/2" bars that my bikes reactions have not noticeably changed but I can definitely notice that the riding comfort has.

Not only do I raise the bar's, and rotate them forward, I also move the foot rests down and back.  80's Italian (and Spanish) twin shock bikes seem to be designed around riders well less that 6' tall, I would argue that all I'm doing is scaling up the position.  Having recently ridden a very nice bultaco in a two day trial, I can say the standard position didn't change my performance.

Whilst "low" bars give better control clearly one size of bar can't suit everybody, given the large height variation between riders.

Risers can give a different effect to high bars.  I recently wanted to try higher bars on the 4RT but, being a trials rider, did not want to spend fifty quid on a set of bars, then again on another set to experiment with various heights.  I got a set of risers that give a variety of rises.

Due to the angle at which the bar clamps lie the lift given by the risers is not vertical, as it would be with higher bars, but also has a rearward component resulting in a currently unfashionable tiller effect, the amount of which varies with the rise selected.  This may not suit everyone and, in any case, reduces the resultant rise.

We did use higher bars back in the high footrest Bultaco days than we do now so possibly roughly similar stance but the works guys all seemed to be pretty tall then, ironically enough given b40rt's comment.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke