Normandy Goodwin Shield pre-67 trial Cancelled

mick

The problem around this area now is the insane fees that are being charged for MOD land. My club has one booked on MOD land next month and the charges will be around £1100. To cap it all the event I was going to ride instead has now been moved due to licence issues over the MOD land!

Edited by petert

I might have liked to ride, as this USED to be a really great event...................BUTSER......who in their right mind likes riding at BUTSER !!!!............

Perhaps a different venue might have attracted more entries.

I thought that all the MOD land used for motorsport  belonged to the NATION............so how come the MOD have increased THEIR fees to use OUR land.  Perhaps EVERYBODY (including the 4 wheel brigade) should boycot using MOD land.............that might bring the MOD to their senses.............Can we not lobby our MP's to get the use of OUR land back.

Edited by pre65wobbler

"I might have liked to ride, as this USED to be a really great event...................BUTSER......who in their right mind likes riding at BUTSER !!!!............"

We are fortunate to currently have use of this ground and it has been demonstrated several times recently that it is quite possible to set an event for traditional bikes here as well as the British Experts. What is more unless there is a deep frost it is ridable in all other conditions even when soaking wet. It is very difficult to find ground to use in the South of England and much of our local terrain is set on or near steep chalk downland. Nevertheless I have seen a local school boy/girl club put excellent and ridable events here including routes for the lesser lights.

If you came I am sure I could show you some BSA friendly sections.

Butser Limeworks Sf.jpg

• Like 2

Many thanks for the various comments.

The event is a centre championship, which we have run for many years, and usually have a good entry, with riders happy to pre-enter. Yes, in previous years we have used MOD land and the the steep increase in costs was a factor in changing venue.

I guess it is the venue that has put riders off, but as has been mentioned above, it can be used for traditional events. I have ridden there in a group trial in December (and I am not very good), we also ran a group event there in January which was well supported with a beginner/wobbler class including electric bikes, but if other riders do not agree then we will have to take that in to consideration when looking for a venue, which has also been mentioned is getting difficult in the south east.

We do run many club trials which do not require pre-entry, where we leave the number of entries to chance, last July I set a trial out which had a total entry of 7 riders including me!

For this event we did not want to put the effort in to set out a good trial with a descent amount of sections only for a handfull of riders to take part.

• Like 1

I wish I had entered, I looked up the Normandy website on Monday evening to try and get squeezed in only to find the event cancelled.

I don't know how many entries you got but rather than cancel you could have posted on here about the shortage of riders and extended the close date by a couple of days, that may have got a positive response.

Regarding entering in advance, I have to agree with the club, it is a lot of work setting a trial, I ran a charity weekend event last year without advance entries and only half a dozen riders turned up on the Saturday, I would rather have been at home with my family and I won't be doing it again !

how do you run a proper observed trial without pre entry ?

As for the venue, I think it is fabulous, some proper hill climbs if used and the grip appears amazing even in the wet.

But after discussing it with some of my normal riding mates it would appear just too far to go, but with the loss of the MOD land we may have to get used to travelling a bit further down here in South East England, you get used to only going an hour to an event.