2008 Rev3 270 opinions

coop650

I have the chance to buy one of these local to me that seems to be in excellent shape. It comes with new tires (just installed) and a brand new rear fender (not installed). It also has had an updated engine case installed due to the known corrosion issues from coolant. I know there could be some part availability issues, but is there anything else I should know before going to look at it? He is asking $3100usd but told me to make an offer. 

This is the bike:

CklvGbR.jpg

kCAI2vY.jpg

vOxCQCv.jpg

Had a few rev 3s one of which bought second hand after it had done SSDT  rode it most weekends for about 2 1/2 years never had the barrel off! The trick as with any trials bike is to keep the air filter proper clean.

They can suffer from noisy main bearings which you will be able to hear easy enough,check the alloy brackets that support the rear mudguard and air box aren't bent or cracked as they were quite expensive,  and the chain can sometimes rub on the rear brake pedal causing it to become thin and the end drop off. Other than that what you see is what you get,in its day probably one of the most robust bikes on the market the Achilles heel being the ignition tended to fail on occasions resulting in a new or repaired stator being required and the water pump housing as you have mentioned. Sorry cant guide you on the price.

My '08 was a great bike from new once the clutch was sorted. Have since moved on to EVO which is better. That bike looks like it hasn't been abused and the fact that the cases were swapped out rather than bodged with JB Weld for the corrosion says a lot about previous owner. Probably a Senior rider. Always the best used bikes to get. If the forks look good and it runs proper probably worth the money.

Thanks for the advice folks!

Trials prices seem to be high around here in Texas. $2000-2500usd max usually means you buy 2000-2004 year range bike. I have not seen any that cheap unless they are very old or clapped out. In fact the last bike I looked at was a 2002 GasGas and they were firm at $2800usd. I think lack of used bikes on the market in this area drives prices up. I do plan to offer less than he is asking but I don't expect him to accept much lower than a $2800 offer.

Well this thread was for naught, I bought a 2009 Beta Evo 300 4T instead. It is coming from Jack's Cycles in Maine. The frame has been verified as being the new upgraded frame after the recall. Thanks for all the advice though, it was greatly appreciated.