Modern OSSA running issues- check this

lotus54

I don't now recall who was having some odd running issues, but thought I'd post this idea up for anyone now or future.

My 2014 Explorer (same as trials with added subframe, tanks, seat etc) had an off-idle 'burble' a couple of times. 

At around 100 hours, then again around 200 hours. A TPS adjustment/reset solved those. Normally it runs nice and clean from idle all the way to max rpm. No burbling or richness.

A few months ago it started again, and nothing seemed to solve it in the 'usual' areas. But I had never taken the main ECU connector apart. All the other connectors on the bike were well sealed and looked good, and the one time I tried it didn't come apart easily- so I left it.

well, I did take it apart a few months ago and find some slight corrosion on a couple of pins. I know the current on a lot of these electronics is very small- so a tiny but of extra resistance can goof it all up.

Careful cleaning with a fibreglass 'pen' made for such things and a healthy blast of ACF50--and the bike ran perfectly again and is still running great (I'm something like 315 hours now). It is probably time to pull it apart and blast it again.

An idea to all, it may be a good idea to pull that connector apart and give it a careful clean/anti-corrosion treatment. Especially if you see odd running that doesn't seem ro have an easy solution.

Mark

BTW, I ride in a lot of water and mud.

Edited by lotus54

Good advice thanks, the only thing I would add is keep an eye on the connectors that sit under the bottom of the tank,No sure what they do but if you don't tape up the front of the sumpguard /tank area they get in some mess.Also they rattle about a bit so worth packing them in with some bubblewrap or similar.

Cheers