Scott Trial bike set-up

dorian

I've long been curious what the differences are relative to bike set-up for the Scott vs. a "regular" trials event? Is additional fuel carried? Is suspension set-up different (stiffer)? What tire pressures (due to the higher speeds) on the route? Tools carried etc... 

Just intrigued by the unique requirements of such an event and how the riders prepare their bikes. I figured this would be the place to ask!

Cheers, Dorian

Edited by dorian
  • Like 1

I would think the Scott Trial prep is similar to the SSDT, as it's somewhat like a single day of the Scottish section wise. Looking at the course map, it is all off road, with no road riding like the Scottish.  The mileage is less at around 80 miles, but complicated by the speed/time trial aspect.  I'm sure some UK riders who really know will chime in.....

Beta SSDT prep info....

https://www.trialscentral.com/news-archive/trials-bike-news/17931-beta-uk-ssdt-preparation-guide-2016

Scott bike prep (normal servicing but yes thorough like the ssdt) is probably not as important as personal fitness, this is often the limiting factor, and is why top guys can turn up and finish the course.

Fuel is not a problem as the refuelling is carried out at 6 or 7 petrol stops.

Some extend the front mudgaurd with tape to limit spray and radiator getting clogged.

Tools are carried mainly for puntures etc

Edited by nigel dabster

New tires back and front, around 7psi front and upto 5 in the rear depending on ground conditions. New high quality chain and tensioner pad as the mont will snap a cheapie in the day! Other than that its just standard preparation. Some people run a moose, others tape everything up to help prevent water ingress, its down to personal preference and confidence in yourself and machine.

10 minutes ago, jrsunt said:

New tires back and front, around 7psi front and upto 5 in the rear depending on ground conditions. New high quality chain and tensioner pad as the mont will snap a cheapie in the day! Other than that its just standard preparation. Some people run a moose, others tape everything up to help prevent water ingress, its down to personal preference and confidence in yourself and machine.

Thanks heaps for the reply jrsunt and others! Sounds like the Scott and SSDT are similar in this regard. Mostly confidence and personal preparation (mental and physical fitness). Now if I could figure out a way to be thirty years younger...

Cheers, Dorian

If you want to test a bike to destruction, the Scott's the boy for you. Jrsunt p****s around it like it's a quick spin, I am the other end of the spectrum. Ive done both and it's fair to say the the Scott is as hard as the ssdt times all 6 days into 1! Speed is so crucial to finishing, and reliability is key too. If you don't want the hassle, dont block the rad and cook it, avoid punctures and ride it on a bullit proof 4rt!

I certainly don't p*** around it! I push myself very, very hard and the bike to within inches of it's life.  I agree reliability and finding a good pace to go at all day is the key. Plenty of bike time leading up to the event probably helps too. Before last years event I hadn't ridden since April, and it knocked the **** out of me.

Sounds like you are having a go dorian???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrsunt said:

I certainly don't p*** around it! I push myself very, very hard and the bike to within inches of it's life.  I agree reliability and finding a good pace to go at all day is the key. Plenty of bike time leading up to the event probably helps too. Before last years event I hadn't ridden since April, and it knocked the **** out of me.

Sounds like you are having a go dorian???

Man I wish but only as a spectator I'm afraid. Not in the cards as a rider for numerous reasons - not the least of which are a pair of old re-constructed knees that aren't up to the task - let alone my fitness and riding (lack of) talent. I do admire the hell out of you guys that throw yourselves at events like the Scott and SSDT and place or even just finish! To say it is quite an accomplishment would be an understatement IMO. I left motocross in the mid-seventies to ride trials for a few years before moving on to enduro in the eighties. Always loved the sport and followed it casually (SSDT etc) since and attended a couple of world rounds '86 and '90. I've collected numerous books over the years on the subject going back to Sammy Miller, Don Smith and others. My wife loves the sport so I can see us possibly making a holiday of it in Fort William for a few days in the future. 

• Like 1