Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

txt_280

Help! Bike size for 10yr old

9 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

after a little advise, I'm looking to get my son a trials bike for his birthday in a couple of weeks. 

I have been looking at getting a beta 80 junior, but these are like hens teeth in the second hand market. Are 80 big wheeled bikes the same size as a full size bike?? 

I don't want to get him a big wheel and then he finds it to big and heavy and doesn't enjoy it! 

He knows his way around bikes, rides a ktm 65 in enduro. Can ride my bike but feels it's to big and says he wants a small one

here he is riding mine to guage his size....

IMG_1583.PNGIMG_1581.PNG

IMG_0879.JPG

Edited by txt_280
1 person likes this

Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

Instead of buying him the wrong bike why not take him to some shops to try whats available and decide the best/most suitable bike that he likes/wants.

Seems like a lot of money/messing about if you get him the wrong thing just because you want to surprise him buy presenting a bike to him unexpectedly.

He is lucky to be getting a bike at his age as a present, If I had a kid I would make him work sweeping chimmneys for a year.as well as polishing all the horse brass hanging over the fireplace.

Edited by oni nou
1 person likes this

No trials shops local, I wouldn't mind travelling tho if I could find a shop with both junior and senior 80's in. He knows he's getting one so don't need to surprise him, he's been pestering me for months haha 

1 person likes this

My 11year old (1m45) has a Beta 80 mediun wheel which is spot on size wise.

Probably last about another 18 months before he's on the big side.

Thing is it's big enough that I could ride it myself in a club trial without issue though it's sprung too soft.

Hard to come by and quite pricy hold there money well though..

Edited by breagh
1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, txt_280 said:

No trials shops local, I wouldn't mind travelling tho if I could find a shop with both junior and senior 80's in. He knows he's getting one so don't need to surprise him, he's been pestering me for months haha 

Maybe Inch perfect have something you could try out If you can do the drive over to Skipton area.

Yeah that would be the only plus he could have one for 2-3yrs then hopefully not loose to much on the purchase price

4 minutes ago, oni nou said:

Maybe Inch perfect have something you could try out If you can do the drive over to Skipton area.

They are a couple of hours away, I've thought about going to watch a few local trials and see if there's any bikes there we can see up close instead of looking at a picture of them 

9 minutes ago, txt_280 said:

They are a couple of hours away, I've thought about going to watch a few local trials and see if there's any bikes there we can see up close instead of looking at a picture of them 

If you ask at a local trialyou will probably be able to get a bit of a go on some or at least have him stand on one to get the sizing right.

Edited by oni nou
1 person likes this