Gas Gas Contact! real trials bike or hybrid?

leosantanalg

I have a chance to buy a brand new 2017 Gas Gas contact 250, but couldnt help to notice that it is priced significant lower than all the other 250s in the class including a Gas gas 250 TXT

when you compare the specs of the TXT and the contact, they are almost identical! What is the catch? if there is any.   Does anyone with trials experience know these bikes? the contact seems to be new in the gas gas trials line! I m contemplating to get one Saturday.   Thanks everyone

They're not remotely identical. I mean, yes, they have the same frame, and they both have suspension and brakes. But the suspension and brakes is where all the money goes on the TXT Racing. Tech forks, Reiger shock, Braktec brakes, Keihin carb. There's most of your price difference.

The contact is more than sufficient if you're looking for something to start on and want to buy new.

Edited by heffergm
  • Like 1

those are side by side specs!  Not Bragging about in any means, but I have the money to buy whichever I decide. I just thought I d ask you guys if is OK to save a couple G. by buying the contact. I do have a lots of BMX experience and am hoping for a fast progression in the sport. As far as buying a used bike, my only predicament is: Lack of mechanical skills and location. As much as I would love lessons I m quite far from the nearest club. I m in the heart of the Adirondack mountains. Plenty of places to ride though.  Make no mistake: All input is appreciated guys. I want to make the right decision.  

gas gas comparison.docx

Thanks Oni Nou. I hear you, but this is what I ve been told so far:

I was advised by few people to start with a 250 even though I am 230 pounds. They said the 300's are much snappier and might delay my learning curve! So I thought about a gas gas contact to save a couple G at first and Buy a top of line 300 when time comes respecting my skills! Does it make sense to you? thanks 

good observation!  the TXT are michelin and the contact are Pirelli.  I will prob go with the contact (no competition- since I m a beginner) and when I figure the sport out (if I get the hang of it) I will buy a 300 Montesa   (just speculations - I like the looks of it and the nice black color)    tx

The CONTACT is a fantastic buy. You may have lower spec suspension (rear shock and front forks) than the RACING, but the CONTACTS set are more than adequate for your size and ability.

The only big difference from the RACING in regards the motor is it runs the Dellorto PHBL 26 carb, and not the Keihin PWK, but the Dellorto is a great carby for the job.

The frame is exactly the same.

It has the older style Morad rims, not the new flanged style rims, and runs the Pirelli tyres. It is a very good package for the price. I would buy the CONTACT and chuck a set of IRC tyres on it and you will be set for anything.

• Like 1

For the novice rider needing to learn clutch and throttle control this bike is all you need, as has been said above stick a better set of tires on it once you feel the existing ones are holding you back.

The performance of the GasGas is not going to be streached by someone new to trials, you need to get the basics of machine control and line selection through a section right before you start worrying about fully adjustable suspension

We have seen plenty of new riders join the sport over the years with top spec bikes only to become disappointed when they get thrashed on the easy route by the pensioners, don't forget the pensioners have probably been riding for decades and that is what cannot be short cut.

I would go for the 2T option over the 4RT, around my part of the world ( muddy south east England) not many are ridden above novice level, they may be low on maintainance but in general the vast majority of harder course riders are on 2T !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was about to ask the same question you have leosantanalg.

You can take this advice with a pinch of salt but none the less this is what i learned.

I have had a truck load of trials bikes ,but lets stick with the past 5 years.

I have a year 2000 GasGas 280 TXT.I have had it for 6 years now.

In the mean time i had a 2013 TXT 250 pro.

I got rid of it to buy a brand new RT Montesa in 2014.Great bike and you can feel the quality but ( oh no ) i hated it by the time i sold it.Not whithstanding the problem i had with it from new which Honda would not acknowledge.I Fixed it in the end . It was simple.

I found it great in some conditions but overall as a trials bike ,the 2013 pro left it for dead, in my hands at least.

For the money i would go for the TXT contact but,i wanted to know how people had got on with it ,should anyone have one and riding week to week.

If it rides as good as the 2013 Pro then you have a real weapon in your hands.

Oh yes ,you will never need to buy new front tyres for the GasGas,because you will spend all your time, as i did, on the back wheel .

Montesa for me ,to heavy . I weigh 11stone seven.

Regards Ted

Edited by shyted