New to Beta and now more questions!

racehunter

Hi all.  I have been a member of this site for a couple of years now, due to a restoration project on an Aprilia Climber 280, which is nearing completion.  However, I have now bought a very nice, road registered, 2008 Rev 3 250, which appears to need very little. Considering the last time I rode a trial was in 1980 on a Montesa UKR 348, I think a bit of practice is called for!

I do have a couple of questions though.  The cable guide that sits behind the handlebar clamps is split and missing the rear section. I assume they do wear out, but is it worth replacing or is there another solution?  Also I do not see any lock stops even though there are threaded bosses on the frame.  No sign of anything on the lower yoke for anything to contact on so unsure as to what is correct.

Thanks in advance

Steve 

Edited by racehunter

Hi racehunter,

The cable guide is meant to have a split in the inner part that runs parallel to the bars, this allows the cables & clutch hose to be slotted through. The piece that then bridges across over the top of the cables has a moulded in Beta logo, perhaps that is the missing part you refer to? You could probably lash something up with cable ties, but buying a replacement (assuming they are available) will be the neatest. You'll find the part no. somewhere in here: http://www.beta-uk.com/images/stories/spares-pdfs/2008/rev250-270frame.pdf

As for lock stops, none are fitted. The first point that contacts is the upper forkleg (in between the upper & lower triple clamp) which touches on the black plastic insert that looks like a vent in the frame. From recollection, the threaded bosses in the frame had some sort of steering lock fitted; I still have a box of electrical bits, mirror etc, that I took of one when new.

Thanks for the replies.  I have seen the dome heads on earlier Rev 3's but on mine I cannot remember any boss on the lower yoke that would mate up with such bolts.  I am not in the workshop again until Tuesday evening, so will double check then. From memory the only boss is for the front light plate and its not big enough.

With regards to the cable guide, I have found the part number and ordered one.  Only a few quid, so quite happy :D

Well, I can confirm that there is definitely no boss on the lower yokes of my '08 Rev, to work with lock stop screws, so perhaps this was a 'weight saving' mod! :lol:

As for the cable guide, I ordered one from Lampkins on Saturday afternoon and it arrived on Tuesday.  It was only £3:31 with free P&P and its now fitted and doing its job.  I have to say that I am very impressed with the service from John Lampkin Imports.  If only every supplier was the same........

So much for my bike that doesn't need much doing!  I decided to remover the front light unit and fit a new 'yamaha YZ' style kill switch.  Having read a couple of posts on the topic, I didn't really expect any problems last night, however that was somewhat shortsighted of me......

Once I started to try to pull the wiring out of the R/H side of the tank bung, it became very clear that the wiring had been somewhat botched.  I expected to see a number of connectors that could be simply unplugged to allow the light unit to be taken away, but what I found was groups of wires twisted together and insulated with either heat shrink tubing of tape.  In some cases, the wires were of different colours.

Time to get the wiring diagram out of the handbook to trace things, but then another problem.  The wires out of the generator do not match the wiring diagram.  The 2008 model diagram I have in the handbook, shows 2 yellows coming out along with a white, a black, a red and a blue, whereas mine has a single yellow, a brown, a red and a black.  This looks the same as shown in a 2006 handbook.  I am convinced the bike is a 2008, but has it had an earlier stator fitted?

I have attached a picture showing the wiring once eased out of the bike.  You can see how the single yellow charging wire was poorly connected to a a single spade coupler which is then connected to a blue wire that feeds into a small bunch of blues, along with a yellow, which goes down towards the fan motor. Now I know the blue wires feed/fed the lights and horn and these are coming out, and I also know that yellow has to feed yellow for the fan to work, however the SWG of the feed from stator is much greater than the wire to the fan motor.  Is this correct of has a lighter wire been fitted to the fan?

Any suggestions would be appreciated with regards to the wiring and the generator/stators.  It will be nice and tidy as well as secure when I have finished.  I hate bodged wiring :angry:

WP_20170314_22_13_49_Rich.jpg

Edited by racehunter

Thanks.  I had read that comment somewhere else, but back in 2009, 'Fergush' posted on this thread about light removal

and as the instruction was quoted as being from Lampkins, I though all would be well. Trouble is, the instructions are next to useless, if the wiring had previously been messed with by the equivalent of a 3 toed sloth wearing welding gauntlets!

I think now it would be best to talk to Lampkins and see what they say about the mess.

I think the older bikes ran the lights off the rectifier and the '08 ran the lights directly off the ac output of the lighting coils and only used the rectifier/regulator for the fan motor if I remember mine correctly. The also provided ground for the lighting circuits through a lug on the top triple clamp which is a huge mistake. 

I finally got round to phoning Beta UK and have to say, they couldn't have been more helpful.  I now know that all of the replacement stator packs on the shelf, have only a single yellow wire as the power source, so nothing to worry about, apart from making everything nice and tidy. I will ensure that I provide a good earth, probably to one of the coil mounting bolts.