Tr280i Diagnostic Software

ricarvar

4 hours ago, canada280i said:

Mark, when you say electronics do you mean actual circuitry in the adapter ir do you mean software? I just use a standard USB to serial adapter that cost me a few dollars from Best Buy 

I mean circuitry in the adapter.

Have you had any luck with post XP and adapters?   We gave up on them at work since they were so flakey after gong to Win7.

BUT I did not try it on the OSSA setup, I used XP and a machine with a real serial port. The diagnostic cables I own and use now are USB, not the old type serial.

if you found something that works, please post up! 

Edited by lotus54

Well,,, I tried another website which has info/description about why the issues with this adapter as well as has different drivers to apparently solve the problem (http://ifamilysoftware.com/news37.html)... So I removed the previous drivers (4 different ones from the link Canada sent me earlier) and re-install this... but long story short... didn't work, same thing as the others.

I will try to find a PC (preferably DELL as you suggested) with serial connection and XP... another option (apparently) from that article is to buy a newer cable as it may work with the newer drivers (?).

In terms of the spark plug I do have a new one which I tested with no success. I rested it against the frame at the metal portion and kick it so arguably... it was grounded (?)... but I'll better make a cable connection to ground it better...

I am running a windows XP laptop (old Toshiba) and an insignia USB to DB9 (serial) adapter cable. I can't find the exact cable on the bestbuy website anymore but it is essentially one of these: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/cables-to-go-cables-to-go-1-5-ft-usb-to-db9-serial-adapter-cable-26886/10196119.aspx?

The way my cable is constructed it does not look like there is any on-board circuitry unless it is hidden in the moulding of the ends.

I will take some pics on the weekend and post them up so you can see what I have

Ricavar, I forget where you are located?

The cheapest would be to pick up another HD, pop on XP and use the adapter you have with the computer you have. I'll bet that would work. You don't need a large or fancy HD, although a small SSD would speed things up a LOT.

Guys... this is being quite interesting (to keep a positive note). I do have match the ports (see picture below) but still get the same error. It seems that from the few drivers I've tried... none work... despite what websites say about they working(?).

So, as you have suggested... I've been in the looks for either a PC, HD or XP system... with no success... AT this point I'm willing to try anything that has a serial port, or XP installed on it. Preferably the "DELL"... but just can't get my hands on one of those...

I'm in Calgary by the way... we're in the middle of a cold-snap (-27C)...

file-5.jpeg

Pics are as follows

1. Prolific sub to serial com port driver settings which I think win xp just auto detected and loaded when I plugged the USB adapter in

2. Screenshot showing the cannot connect message. The ecu is not connected and the bike system is not charged with 12 v so this is normal at this stage

3. System devices list showing the prolific adapter on com 5

4. Pic of the adapter wire, I think 10 dollars from best buy

5. Crappy old toshiba running win xp with 1 gig of ram. Takes an age to fire up but runs the software with no issue

I could probably make you a XP HD and send...although I to Canada adds customs stuff.

But your would have have some drivers to install for your specific computer.  I may be in BC early next week...I'm right across from Victoria.

mark

Hey ricarvar just a thought you may want to remove the flywheel cover and check the pick-up for damage. There were other posts on this forum about the crankcase cover screws coming out and getting caught breaking the ignition pick-up causing no spark. I took my flywheel off two weeks ago and checked the screws. Good luck.               

Ps the pickup is at the top of the flywheel in the bump area. 

Just another note or idea,  my ossa manual states what is needed for a cable they say if using windows 7 or 8 will work fine if the optimal cable with the ftdi chip is used which like the btwice cable with the electronics and chip in the usb end. You can buy the adapter 232 usb cable off there website which is 25 dollars. You would have to splice the connector off of your older cable onto your new cable. Ossa wants you to only use the drivers from the ftdi website which you can down load for free. Just a thought then you could keep yer flaptop. 

I always thought the USB-Serial (RS232) required electronics- but then wondered if I was incorrect. Searching around, it appears that they are required, but perhaps if no LEDs for activity etc are required then it can be pretty small? (again, just what I am reading on the internet- could be full of it).

https://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/info/RS-232-usb.html

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/24190/serial-to-usb-adaptors-types-and-problems

I see one on Amazon that claims to have Win7 (and newer) drivers. That seemed to be one of the main issues. But I do recall back in the XP days that many of the USB to Serial converter didn't work well for things that were critical on timing. For instance, some would work for programming a radio- but you couldn't tune it. This was quite some time ago- and most newer ones have USB ports now. And not much to do with OSSA-except for some reason OSSA chose to produce them with old Serial rather than USB. I have no idea why, especially since they are outrageously expensive!

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Adapter-Prolific-PL2303HX-Chipset/dp/B00425S1H8

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-RS-232-Male-Serial/dp/B00J4N9T9C/ref=pd_lpo_147_bs_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2NSH25B1SA9EKSZT6X2M

At least with Amazon if it doesn't work it is easy to return (and not much money). 

Just some thoguhts.

(Canada, does yours work with Win7?  maybe you said so and I missed it)

mark

Hey Guys, I found a newer cable. It does have a bunch of electronics within its case at the end part of it (Pic attached). My PC recognized it... but still no connection with the ECU.

Lotus - thanks a lot for your offer on the HD with XP, it's much appreciated. I believe I'll be able to find a laptop with XP on it and probably even with a serial port. But I'll have to wait for a couple/few days as my friends are digging for it in their basements ...

Ossabc - I will check the ftdi website, thanks for the tip, seems also an interesting opportunity.

I do believe as lotus has mentioned before it's a Windows-7 issue. Mind you there's also the chance that my ECU actually was burnt... but let's hope that's not the case. As soon as weather improves and temperatures are good to work, I'll check the pick-up coil, and flywheel.

Any of you guys know how to test the "Coil"?... the one that feeds the spar-plug cable?... any voltage, resistance or amps measurements that can be taken?

Newer-cable.jpg

Make sure you change the software and 'device manager' to have the same COM port.

I don't  recall off the top of my head where it is in the OSSA software. But I'll take a look later.

I believe Lewisport has newer ECUs avaliable- if that really is the case (I doubt it, but who knows?). Also check the ECU main plug for corrosion (or did you do that already? )

Edited by lotus54