What to clean head with?

smarty156

I've removed the head on my 2014 300 Racing GasGas as I suspect he o rings were leaking.

The head is very black and coke up (see attached). What's the best way to clean it? Top of the piston is also black - is it possie to clean that without taking anything else apart as I don't really have time to do that.

Thanks.

20170304_114736.jpg

Clean head with WD40 and a fine Scotchbrite pad. For piston top - pack some soft tissue around edge then do same. Carefully remove tissue and blast with air. A foot pump will do it. Not a solution found in any 'how too' but works more times than not in an emergency. 

HG stove glass cleaner does a brilliant job and removes the oil / coke well before it starts to damage the alloy. It takes several minutes to shift the coke but several hours to start to mark the alloy.

non metallic pad.. no liquid.. raise piston to top.. put a sear of vaseleine round edge to capture any debris.. and scrub away.. when finished lower piston and wipe away vaseline and debris with dry cloth.. wipe everything with thin clean oil.. sorted.