Montesa 315, My Favourite Bike & Rider

ironbelly

3 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

I still cant believe how good the 315 bike is, after what 20 years its not so different in feel and ride to modern current stuff, and surely the popularity at the moment isnt simply down to nostalgia?

Completely agree. At the time when I sold my last 315 in 2001 although I didn't think it at the time I was definitely swapping to worse new bikes over the next few years. Rode mine (got another one last year) last week and it's more than I'll ever need. I just wish some parts were more readily available. I don't like riding it too much as some parts are pretty hard to get hold of now. 

I used to love watching Jason Finn too. 

• Like 1

I thought my 315r was brilliant really reliable and very powerful.But over here we can get gearbox parts for it. So if the gearbox goes the bikes are  scrap. So it was a good thing i sold it. I just hope one day montesa will make a 2 stroke again.

Edited by dwb5151

1 hour ago, doogle said:

Completely agree. At the time when I sold my last 315 in 2001 although I didn't think it at the time I was definitely swapping to worse new bikes over the next few years. Rode mine (got another one last year) last week and it's more than I'll ever need. I just wish some parts were more readily available. I don't like riding it too much as some parts are pretty hard to get hold of now. 

I used to love watching Jason Finn too. 

Which bits are obsolete?

Mines an 01 and mudguards we're becoming scarce, so I bought 2 and that set me back nearly £300. The centre box on the exhaust has worn thin from boot rub over the years, and I've had to weld the silencer where it had rubbed on the rear wheel and I don't think you can get original ones of either of those. You can get a aftermarket silencer though. A few bits are shared with the 4rt so that's ok, but if parts are available for the 315 only they seem very expensive. 

On 5 March 2017 at 8:06 PM, doogle said:

Mines an 01 and mudguards we're becoming scarce, so I bought 2 and that set me back nearly £300. The centre box on the exhaust has worn thin from boot rub over the years, and I've had to weld the silencer where it had rubbed on the rear wheel and I don't think you can get original ones of either of those. You can get a aftermarket silencer though. A few bits are shared with the 4rt so that's ok, but if parts are available for the 315 only they seem very expensive. 

Would have to agree, these machines fetch a premium compared to other makes, Quality always does!!