Cota 4RT Rain and not Starting

fizz

Any good ideas on how to waterproof the electrics for a 2016 4RT.

There was lots of rain today and as I use a trailer I am assuming the electrics have become waterlogged as the bike wouldn't start when I got to the trial.

What is odd is that it still wont start even after the long trip home in in dry'ish weather when I expected the breeze would have dried out all the terminals.

Anybody else had this problem?

Cheers

Water does not tend to cause many problems with the 4rt, unless its drowned. As said before, the connectors are pretty well sealed. Check the earth under the ht coil and check for a spark. If no spark, link out the bank angle sensor and try again

• Like 1

if you really do suspect water in the connectors the best way I have found is to pull the bike down to the point where you can put grease in all the connectors to defend against water. 

However I agree with the former posts that most 4RT's don't have issues with that so it isn't often the first cause of issues like that.  I would as stated above check for spark, reset the ECU, swap the spark plug, or bypass the bank angle sensor as first attempts. 

if that all doesn't work there is a very slim chance that you could have a problem with the capacitor or the ECU its self but again very unlikely...

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Just now, jonnyc21 said:

if you really do suspect water in the connectors the best way I have found is to pull the bike down to the point where you can put grease (Vaseline...) in all the connectors to defend against water. 

However I agree with the former posts that most 4RT's don't have issues with that so it isn't often the first cause of issues like that.  I would as stated above check for spark, reset the ECU, swap the spark plug, or bypass the bank angle sensor as first attempts. 

if that all doesn't work there is a very slim chance that you could have a problem with the capacitor or the ECU its self but again very unlikely...

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the replies.  I tried the ECU reset and the bike almost fires now - it fires maybe once then thats about it.

I will order a spark plug and also check the plug for a spark.

Cheers,

Which way was your bike facing on the trailer, if it was exhaust forward could water have blown into the engine through exhaust or airbox? Generally considered best to store or transport or wash a single cylinder 4t with the engine on the compression stroke. 2t should have the exhaust bunged.

ive never had a water issue with my 06 but if it didnt start it was 2 slow push downs on kick start throttle wide open then release then give one good kick and ride your sections.

10 hours ago, jimmyl said:

I had problem with std kill button - just jesting it's not from mr Honda and European spec .

i think you can just unplug the cable and link the the bullet terminals together .

A second vote for the kill switch , Just unplug the bullet terminals which you will find under the fuel tank .

But Do Not link the bullet terminals together because it will never start ! 

21 minutes ago, chris200 said:

A second vote for the kill switch , Just unplug the bullet terminals which you will find under the fuel tank .

But Do Not link the bullet terminals together because it will never start ! 

My bad. You are correct.

i think you can disconnect on handlebars for a quick check

Simple solution in the end - new spark plug and problem solved - also had a new air filter and a good service.

I was also told to start and let it run until the fan comes on before moving off.

Now already for Sunday.

• Like 2