Muddy climbs

Was at a trial today and one section very slippery long hill climb pretty steep 3 out of4 times I never got grip at all and failed the climb Early just spinning and once I got decent traction but had to much power on or weight to far back and flipped my bike but felt I had enough momentum up until this point to make it any pointers in what I could try 

• Like 1

I find myself crouching on some big climbs with the bike spinning.

helps keep c of g low so front wheel less likely to lift but keeping weight over back end.

might just be a 4rt technique.

Anyways need to keep weight over back wheel for traction.

if front wheel lifts then was throttle/lean forward slightly and or slip clutch.

needs practice I think!!

• Like 2

Yeah thanks for replies I was in 3Rd gear but I did think less throttle but the time I flipped I had alot of power on and at least got further than any other attempt I did notice people crouching on their bikes would I keep my weight central or slightly back if using this technique 

Team WGASA refers to it as "Balls to the tank"

Keeps the weight low and applied to the rear tire while also keeping the front end down.

If it doesn't feel weird you are not low enough.

3rd was probably good if  you have a 5 speed gearbox, if you have a 6 speed gearbox you may want to experiment with 4th.

Throttle control and slipping the clutch are very helpful as well. 

Unfortunately (or not, depending on one's point of view) we don't get enough exposure to that sort of section in Scotland for most to be able to develop the technique. There's mud and there's mud.  Telling one type from the others and using the appropriate technique is probably a skill that is best developed by moving south for a while ?

A highly skilled Centre champion from the south west of England told me forty years ago that he did not do the SSDT because of the rocky going. My ripost was that if he could ride mud as well as he did then learning rocks would be easy compared to going the other way.

If you have enough run-up, concentrate on gathering speed before the climb so that, if anything, you're starting to roll off the throttle as you're going up. Trying to gain momentum while on the slope is much harder.

Edited by cleanorbust
  • Like 2

Droping your tyre pressures a bit will help. A tip I was given a few years back. Move your toes onto the pegs and push your heels down while squatting a bit. Has the effect of moving your weight down and back while keeping your upper body fairly central to control the front end. 

• Like 2