New Beta Evo - Possible Lean Condition

tuts

Hi,

Sorry if this is a repost but I searched and didn't find a similar one.

My buddy bought a brand new 2016 Beta Evo 300 Factory 2T.

Almost immediately it starting running poorly. Then, when warmed up, it would only run with the choke on.

I thought the pilot was clogged. Opened the carb out in the desert and the pilot was clogged, you couldn't see sunlight thru the pilot hole.

I noticed that the O-ring that seals the bowl to the carb had 'goo' oozing out. Please remember this is a brand new, never modified bike.

So we sacrificed some earbud wires and used the thin wires and brake cleaner to get the goo out of the pilot jet.

The goo was on the wires so I know this is what was clogging the pilot jet.

Took out the carb bowl special O-ring [ insert proper name] out of the bowl.

It was covered in a cheap contact adhesive type glue.

I guess they factory, maybe carb manufacturer, had an issue with the gaskets staying in place so they used this cheap glue.

I don't see how engineering would have approved this but I'm just talking out my @ss here.

Cleaned the bowl recess and O-ring and reassembled.

Fired up and ran perfect.

I sent a long email to Beta and never heard back. Not a Thanks for the email or We'll look into it. Told the dealer and they said they never heard of anything like that.

Story continues....

I liked my buddies bike a lot so bought the same exact bike.

Before riding I took carb apart and it had the same issue of the carb O-ring being held in place with cheap contact adhesive type crap.

So I cleaned it all up and reassembled.

I didn't bother emailing and being ignored by Beta again.

Told the dealer and he said he would check one on his showroom floor but I don't know the outcome.

The reason for my post here is to alert you folks so that you do not get into a situation were your bike is running lean.

It thinks its better if it just stops running versus running lean because you cant ruin an engine that's not running.

I cant imagine the fuel or premix was the problem. I was running Motul 800 but have since switched to Liqui Moly.

To me it just seems like a 'shade-tree-mechanic' or 'bootleg' or whatever slang fits in your area fits for poor workmanship and lack of thought.

Well that's it.

Cheers.

tuts

Edited by tuts

26 minutes ago, billyt said:

I agree with Lineaway here.  

Two bikes out of XXX all over the world hardly constitutes "Major Production Issue !!!!!

I've modified title. 

Was thinking its Major to run 2T lean. 

Not sure how you would know if there was an issue without a visual. 

To me it's 2 for 2. Even 1 is too many. 

Just meant to warn of issue that can destroy your engine. 

2 hours ago, lineaway said:

Sounds more like an Ethanol issue. Got plenty of new 16`s and 17`s in our club and no issues.

Not sure what your fuel is made of. But if it can soften contact adhesive then it might be worth an actual visual inspection. 

ive never seen the bowl O-ring glued down before. 

Glad you don't have issues. 

Sounds more like somebody at Keihin had a great new idea. I'm pretty sure Beta doesn't crack open the carbs on every bike. If it was a white waxy build up that can come from ethanol. I find I have to disassmble and clean my Keihin twice a year anyway so you might as well get used to it. 

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 0:24 PM, dan williams said:

Sounds more like somebody at Keihin had a great new idea. I'm pretty sure Beta doesn't crack open the carbs on every bike. If it was a white waxy build up that can come from ethanol. I find I have to disassmble and clean my Keihin twice a year anyway so you might as well get used to it. 

it was not and white waxy build up but I know what you mean

this is simply the contact adhesive used to hold the  O-ring in place 'melting' into goo.

agreed that cleaning the carb is good maintenance, except this is on bikes with single digit hours on them.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:04 AM, billyt said:

Your fuel and oil is the common between your two problems.  Hmmmmm..... 

I think I get what you are saying but I just don't think that glues that break down with fuel should be used on a carb.

actually I don't think they should have used any glue at all. it just makes their assembly quicker.

and I am not saying it is my problem, I'm trying to say that I think its a problem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:38 AM, dan williams said:

...... I think you just put people on the defensive with the initial header......

I appreciate your reply which helped me see things in perspective.

but it was my intent to get people to read it as I know a lean condition is a very serious issue.

for all that got upset, you're not alone.... I'm unable to learn in couples therapy that 'tone is important',

Edited by tuts
  • Like 2