Trans oil?

heffergm

CASTROL TRANSMAX Z

High quality full synthetic automatic transmission fluid formulated to provide ultimate wear protection and performance except where Dexron® VI type fluids are specified.

APPLICATION

Recommended for buses, coaches and commercial vehicles operating under heavy loads or extreme conditions wherever General Motors type fluids are recommended.

FEATURES & BENEFITS

• Excellent resistance to oxidation thus assisting in prolonging the life of the lubricant
  • Extended oil drain potential resulting in lower operating costs,
  • Enhanced protection against deposits to extend transmission life,
  • Temperature reduction in severe conditions improves transmission and oil service life, and assists in reducing fuel consumption and emissions,
  • Optimised frictional characteristics to provide smoother gear changes and better protection against wear,
  • Outstanding cold flow properties materially assisting in reducing wear at start-up,
  • Proven performance in drag racing (e.g., Lenco drag racing transmission in Pro Stock),
  • Low foam – stable gear shift performance when transmission is hot,
  • Compatible with mineral/conventional automatic transmission fluids,
  • Lower volatility – negligible oil loss at extreme temperatures,
  • Better control of deposits – cleaner transmission – longer transmission life.

SPECIFICATIONS

• MB-Approval: 236.81
  • MAN 339 Type V2, Z3
  • Renk
  • Voith 55.6335.33, 55.6336.33
  • VW 501.60
  • ZF-TE ML 04D, 11B, 14C. 16M
  •  

Description

Castrol Transmax Z is a high quality full synthetic transmission fluid. It is particularly recommended for use in automatic and semi automatic transmissions used in buses and coaches. It may also be used in manual transmissions. As such it is recommended for fleets employing a mixture of Voith, Renk, ZF, Allison and MB transmissions alongside the Leyland Pneumocyclic and Hydracyclic units. Extended oil drain [120.000 km] in ZF Ecomat, MB AT and Voith AT

Application

Castrol Transmax Z has proved most suitable in severe service applications where high temperatures have reduced transmission life. It has been shown to reduce automatic transmission fluids temperatures by up to 20 ̊C in severe duty applications.
Typical applications include:

Heavy duty automatic transmissions with integral retarders Transmissions of vehicles used for towing
Transmission retarders
Racing applications

Long drain applications

Ford A4 LD transmissions in taxis and transit vans.
Particularly recommended for use in automatic and semi-automatic transmissions used in buses and coaches.

Recommended for power steering systems and manual transmission systems where DEXRON III or II fluids are specified.
Very successfully used in drag racing applications in Australia, in Powerglide to Lenco transmissions, for Super Street to Top Alcohol competitors.

Extended drain intervals in heavy duty automatic transmissions City and Suburban service 100,000km or 2 years On-Highway 300,000km or 2 years

For long drain oil applications, Castrol Labcheck or other oil and wear metal monitoring is required to ensure optimum performance and durability.

Advantages

Excellent resistance to oxidation prolonging the life of the lubricant, offers extended drain potential and lowers operating costs.
Enhanced protection against deposits extends transmission life.
Temperature reduction in severe service improves transmission and oil service life and helps reduce fuel consumption and emissions

Optimised frictional characteristics providing smoother gear changes and protects against wear Outstanding cold flow properties giving high protection to transmission especially at start-up

Product Data Sheet

Castrol Transmax Z

Automatic Transmission Fluid

Page 1 of 2

Typical Characteristics

Name

Method

Units

Castrol Transmax Z

Density @ 15C, Relative

ASTM D4052

g/ml

Viscosity, Kinematic 100C

ASTM D445

mm2/s

Viscosity, Kinematic 40C

ASTM D445

mm2/s

Viscosity Index

ASTM D2270

None

Viscosity, Brookfield @ -40C (75W)

ASTM D2983

mPa.s (cP)

Pour Point

ASTM D97

°C

Flash Point, COC

ASTM D92

°C

Product Performance Claims

MAN 339 Z3, V2 MB-Approval 236.81 Voith H55.6336.xx VW 501 60

ZF TE-ML 04D, 11B, 14C, 16M, 20C
Recommended by Nissan where Matic Fluid D is required

Removal

Bare Metal Surfaces: Remove with Castrol solvent cleaners or water based degreasers.

Hand Cleaning: Use any of the Castrol range of hand cleaners; e.g. CareClean Plus.

Other Surfaces: Contact your local Technical Advice Line on 1300 557 998.

Storage

All packages should be stored under cover. Where outside storage is unavoidable drums should be laid horizontally to avoid the possible ingress of water and damage to drum markings. Products should not be stored above 60°C, exposed to hot sun or freezing conditions. 

• 3 weeks later...

So just done the first oil change on my Vert 300 Ice Hell, got the recommended Castrol trans max z, which to my surprise is not red. So my question is what does the vert come with initially, as it doesnt seem to be Castrol; unless Castrol has changed the colour?

Agree with above. I suspect Castrol is paying for the advertising all over the bike, so they recommend something they make that works. But it's probably just whatever ATF they have laying around that they test run the motor on before shipping. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

29 minutes ago, heffergm said:

It depends on how hot the oil is when you drain it and how much tipping the bike over to get it all out you want to do. I drain it hot and refill with 370. 

The info sheet I got this the bike said 350ml but the owner manual said 375ml. Ive let it draining for 30min and seem to have most of it out just on sure what to put back in.

• 2 months later...

Just picked up a Vertigo and want to establish my own fresh maintenance schedule.  What is the final word on tranny oil from the experts...ATF or 75 - 80 Gear oil?  Can't get recommended Castrol here in the USA.

Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the US and imported a case of the Castrol Transmax Z. But I discovered that the diesel product, Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic ATF (not the Mobil 1) meets there same MB spec as the recommended Castrol oil so that is what I should or would buy in the USA.

9 minutes ago, heffergm said:

I stopped caring.... 

That's the great thing about being a human!  We get to pick and chose what is important to each one of us.  But I welcome information when it can help me make a choice...and a completely valid choice is ....it doesn't matter.  ;o)

no I have luxury of being able to get the castrol transmax oil in the uk 

which is in the vertigo manual, when the bike comes from vertigo uk 

it comes with a bottle of rock oil which is one of there sponsers, do you think 

that the factory will have done all there testing using the castrol ? 

So I'm still not hugely bothered either way, but I did put ATF in the gearbox yesterday just to see how it felt after seeing this thread resurrected. 

Bike shifts the same (which is to say quite well), the clutch is a bit quicker (expected), but what was really noticeable was how much less cold start drag there was. I think I'll probably switch to ATF. 

I did a bunch of ATF research when I first bought the bike, and by the published specs, Mobil 1 Synthetic atf was nearly identical to the Castrol, so that's what I tried and will use. 

Edited by heffergm

• 2 weeks later...