Trans oil?

heffergm

What are you using? The manual on the vertigo site specs a Castrol synthetic ATF (the closest thing I can get in the US is Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF). The US importer seems to recommend a Maxima 0w10 (no idea why). A close US dealer runs regular ATF. 

Maybe anything vaguely oil like will suffice. 

Edited by heffergm

Of the synthetic ATF brands I could find spec sheets for, only Mobil 1 had basically the same numbers as the Castrol. 

I have no idea how (or if) the maxima compares, haven't looked to see if they publish a spec sheet yet. 

2 hours ago, dadof2 said:

Maxima 0w 10 is virtually identical to Castrol synthetic ATF. Regular ATF (Rather than the most recent synthetic types) will not provide the same level of protection.

How did you come up with a hypothesis that a synthetic fluid engineered for a hydrualic application (automatic transmission) is the same as a synthetic fluid engineered for a gearbox with clutch application?  

Edited by billyt

2 hours ago, heffergm said:

What are you using? The manual on the vertigo site specs a Castrol synthetic ATF (the closest thing I can get in the US is Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF). The US importer seems to recommend a Maxima 0w10 (no idea why). A close US dealer runs regular ATF. 

Maybe anything vaguely oil like will suffice. 

Because they sell Maxima......

5 hours ago, billyt said:

How did you come up with a hypothesis that a synthetic fluid engineered for a hydrualic application (automatic transmission) is the same as a synthetic fluid engineered for a gearbox with clutch application?  

Have you looked inside an automatic gearbox 

multiple wet clutches with friction material similar to  that used  on multiplate trials clutches and numerous epicilic gear sets doing much more work than a straight cut trials dog shift box with minimal hp

• Like 6

8 hours ago, billyt said:

Because they sell Maxima......

I'm sure they do, but they likely carry all kinds of other oil. But they mentioned it was 'recommended'. By whom I have no idea. Based on the numbers, I'm more inclined to run M1 simply because the viscosity numbers are closer to the Castrol recommended in the manual, and the fact that any additive package in the M1 is going to be more similar to the Castrol, being that they're both ATF.

Edited by heffergm

7 hours ago, jimmyl said:

Have you looked inside an automatic gearbox 

multiple wet clutches with friction material similar to  that used  on multiplate trials clutches and numerous epicilic gear sets doing much more work than a straight cut trials dog shift box with minimal hp

Yes I have.  ATF oil does not has similar charicteristics  in the way of shear, foaming, stiction.  Amongst other things an automatic transmission uses hydraulic pressure through its passages.  Two completely different applications.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, heffergm said:

I'm sure they do, but they likely carry all kinds of other oil. But they mentioned it was 'recommended'. By whom I have no idea. Based on the numbers, I'm more inclined to run M1 simply because the viscosity numbers are closer to the Castrol recommended in the manual, and the fact that any additive package in the M1 is going to be more similar to the Castrol, being that they're both ATF.

I actually asked the same question of LS of why Maxima  0-10W ?       I would agree the Mobil 1 ATF is a good substitute.   

ATF - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID

As automatic transmissions become more complex, there’s a need for more technologically advanced fluids to ensure vehicle reliability. Getting the right oil for your car is key to ensuring your transmission operates as designed and you get a smooth driving experience every day.

Castrol, with over 100 years of experience in developing transmission fluids, and being the choice of many leading car and transmissions manufacturers for factory-fill products, offers a range of automatic transmission fluids for your car’s requirements. Providing you the peace of mind that you are selecting the right oil for your vehicle. 

TRANSMAX™ FULL SYNTHETIC MULTI-VEHICLE

Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-vehicle
Castrol® Transmax™ Full Synthetic Multi-vehicle is a technologically advanced, low viscosity formulation specially designed to deliver maximum fuel efficiency for modern automatic transmissions. It is blended with premium base stocks and is fully approved by both Ford and GM for use in vehicles requiring their latest ATF specifications. Exceeds requirements of JASO-1A and recommended for a wide range of import vehicles.

CASTROL® TRANSMAX™ CVT

Transmax CVT
Castrol® Transmax™ CVT is designed for most continuously variable transmissions.  Its superior technology enables longer transmission life.

TRANSMAX™ DEX/MERC ATF

Castrol Transmax DEX/MERC ATF
Castrol® Transmax™ DEX/MERC includes enhanced friction durability for smooth transmission performance. Designed for use in older Ford and GM vehicles.

TRANSMAX ATF+4®

TRANSMAX ATF+4
Castrol® Transmax™ ATF+4® is an advanced full synthetic formulation for superior transmission life. Certified for use in all Chrysler vehicles.

TRANSMAX™ IMPORT MULTI-VEHICLE 

Castrol Transmax Import Multivehicle
Castrol® Transmax™ Import multi-vehicle is for use in most Honda, Toyota, and Nissan vehicles as well as other imported brands. 

TRANSMAX™ HIGH MILEAGE

Castrol Transmax High Mileage
Castrol® Transmax™ High Mileage is ideal for most transmissions with over 75,000 miles. Additional seal conditioners help stop leaks. Extra cleaning agents reduce varnish and deposit formation. Protects against clutch wear and restores smooth shifting.

TRANSMAX™ MERCON®V

Castrol Transmax MERCON
Castrol® Transmax™ MERCON®V includes exceptional thermal protection and promotes smooth shifting. Certified for use in Ford vehicles that require Mercon or Mercon V.

TRANSMAX™ TYPE F 

TRANSMAX Type F
Castrol® Transmax™ Type F provides excellent lubrication to gears and bushings, allowing for smooth transmission operation. Certified for use in all Ford vehicles that require Type F ATF.

TRANSMAX™ DEXRON®VI ATF 

Castrol Transmax DEXRON
Castrol® Transmax™ DEXRON®is a premium synthetic blend certified for use in all GM vehicles. Outstanding deposit resistance and enhanced friction durability improve shifting performance.

Yeah, none of those are Transmax Z though :) I've looked at the spec sheets of almost all those that seem relevant (Dexron III stuff), and the M1 is still a closer match on all the published numbers.

Edited by heffergm

7 hours ago, billyt said:

Yes I have.  ATF oil does not has similar charicteristics  in the way of shear, foaming, stiction.  Amongst other things an automatic transmission uses hydraulic pressure through its passages.  Two completely different applications.  

Yes It can cope with high pressure but gives good frictional properties reference organic friction material to give smooth take up in clutch packs.