Making trials safer ...?

turbofurball

7 minutes ago, cornishtwinspring said:

Don't be shy, shout loud enough & they will move , & if they don't then your perfectly entitled to claim a baulk to the observer & have a re run.

I'd rather start in 2 to 4 places and not have the risk for the whole lap.

I completely agree with the helmet rule and maybe it should be compulsory to wear boots and gloves, I simply wouldn't ride without any of them and there has been some really bad accidents to legs and hands because the rider didn't wear boots or gloves but that's on them at the end of the day. The biggest danger I have seen is in the actual sections themselves, simple things like part of the section running really close to barbed wire, end gates just a few feet from the next sections start gate, sending riders over fallen trees with broken branches sticking out of them, all things that can be easily avoided. I agree with, there should be a first aider at every trial, our club offered free places to any of our members who wanted to take a first aid course, I jumped at the chance, having seen some quite bad accidents, not just on Sundays but in the week when there is only a few of us their. Most of the trial meetings or practice grounds are not that easy to get to so having a first aider there until an ambulance arrives can make a big difference.

• Like 1

The OP has raised a valid point, but it would be nice if we could get a few sensible precautions in place without compulsion.

Lanyards: What's not to like? As well as being a small aid to safety they are also handy for making sure your bike doesn't rev it's nuts off when you fall off.
Gloves: Unlikely to save you from any serious injuries, but a lightweight pair of gloves will provide some protection from gravel rash without affecting your ability to ride.
First Aiders: In a trial with 60 riders, 10 observers and a couple of organisers, there will surely be a few people who have a valid First Aid at Work qualification or equivalent. It's just a matter of making sure everyone knows who and where.
First Aid Kit: A modest first aid kit at a central location (signing-on od Section 1) would be handy but probably not life-saving. In the very unlikely event of a life-threatening incident, the two key items would be BVM and a defibrillator. These are items that fall within the skills of a first-aider and the BVM costs very little. An AED is a bit more but prices are coming down.
Full-face helmets: I find it very hard to argue against facial protection, but in reality I'm prepared to take the risk because I don't want to wear one. I can't justify that choice; I just don't.

• Like 3

Just stalled that high compression 300? DNF over a big rock/fallen tree? Splat gone wonky? Here you go c/o Hebo. The elbow underarm pad is neat and the back protector can earn it's money too. Also you can get rubber knee pads that slot into the jeans. 

XTR .png

• Like 2

Lanyards: Not perfect, as I commented on an earlier thread after witnessing what happened to Pol Tarres at the world round.

The lanyard definitely made that situation dangerous as Pol couldn't kill the screaming engine without taking his hand off the clutch which would have fired the bike off into the distance.

Edited by tshock250
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, tshock250 said:

Lanyards: Not perfect, as I commented on an earlier thread after witnessing what happened to Pol Tarres at the world round.

The lanyard definitely made that situation dangerous as Pol couldn't kill the screaming engine without taking his hand off the clutch which would have fired the bike off into the distance.

So not having it fitted would have made a difference ? How did it make a dangerous ? Vert few things are perfect in every situation. 

Edited by b40rt
  • Like 1

reading these post makes me laugh ,if you feel trials are not safe why do it ,if you feel a full face helmet is the way to go why not wear one, like wise a lanyard kill switch fit one , if the section is to hard or you feel its unsafe ask for a 5. Or if you feel you want to wear full body armour No one is not stopping you to from doing any of that ! if it makes you feel safe do it ,its called taking responsibility for your self  , your the one that took the sport up and its up to you  to find out what trials entails 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, tshock250 said:

Yes, he could have used a kill switch with his right hand.

Or he could have removed the magnet with his right hand.. My lanyard is set so can be flicked off with my left thumb. The cord is tied to the handlebars. 

Edited by elusivemite

11 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

Gloves: Unlikely to save you from any serious injuries, but a lightweight pair of gloves will provide some protection from gravel rash without affecting your ability to ride.

You see very few adult riders in Yorkshire & North East wearing gloves............it affects their 'honed' riding skills:D

Edited by johnnyboxer