Making trials safer ...?

turbofurball

20 hours ago, turbofurball said:

I dunno about that, I like lanyards simply because I don't want my bike to carry on running when on it's side (which happened to me twice before I fitted one, the second time petrol was leaking out from the tank) ... fitting a lanyard is the same as a regular kill switch, it takes about 5 minutes and a basic one costs £3.50 on ebay

Fine if you already have the switch connected but this particular bike has no way of tapping in to the system - fully sealed from generator to the enclosed multipin connector at the HT coil so no kill switch.

Lanyard is not always the answer,I remember a Fantic screaming its brains out till it seized back in about 1986. The killswitch made no difference,it was running on hot carbon after a big off with the throttle dug in the ground,which was then found to be jammed open anyway. Didn't take long to stop...  

13 minutes ago, jon v8 said:

Lanyard is not always the answer,I remember a Fantic screaming its brains out till it seized back in about 1986. The killswitch made no difference,it was running on hot carbon after a big off with the throttle dug in the ground,which was then found to be jammed open anyway. Didn't take long to stop...  

But that's the point of the lanyard. Requires a wot situation to start dieseling then the kill switch will have no effect but  the lanyard cuts the power before it even starts.  I have a lanyard but unless I'm being brave (or stupid) its just tied to the bars and used as a kill switch 

As was agreed in a previous post, trials is already extremely safe. Im starting to worry some official sees this post and starts to think trials is dangerous, and before you know it a whole raft of safety measures has been added!

As a previous poster said, common sense when marking a section is vital. A section can be very hard but also safe, yet a very easy section can also be dangerous.

Edited by faussy
  • Like 2

In my experience the least beginner friendly (and therefore potentially dangerous to some riders) bits have been between sections, the sections themselves are usually well thought out. 

I can think of examples when I was starting out that beat me up a bit, left me needing assistance and unable to finish, I could of course have turned around and that's my responsibility, entering a beginner trial also would have been a smarter move.

18 hours ago, toetoe said:

there has been some really bad accidents to legs and hands because the rider didn't wear boots or gloves but that's on them at the end of the day. 

I find that hard to believe given that boots, along with helmets, are mandatory.  I don't recall ever seeing anyone trying to ride a trial without boots, far less being permitted to do so.  Additional requirements for youths are gloves and to have the arms covered, and that sort of difference applies to youths in many areas of life so fair enough.

Rabie has it right - if there is no problem then don't invent one.

I have only once seen a lanyard switch deployed in anger and the motor continued to run anyway.

The biggest disappointment to me about this topic is that the malaise in wider society whereby "my safety is someone else's responsibility" seems to be gaining a foothold in the previously sensible and realistic trials fraternity. You shouldn't need someone telling you what to do.

As an adult, if someone feels the mandatory safety gear is not enough then they are free to use their own judgement in selecting additional equipment to cover their lack of competence or confidence, whichever of the two it may be; just as in any activity, but there is no need to impose things on others.

Incidentally, there was a substantial rule change some years ago; previously you had to make a bona fide attempt at every section in order to be classed as a finisher.  With the dropping of that rule you could theoretically avoid every section in a trial albeit, clocking up a large score.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 3

I generally agree with the above. I mean, even the FIM doesn't mandate back protectors and full face helmets. I'm fine with local clubs generally following the FIM, and leave it at that.

I would say though that I'm fine with not having to attempt a section to ask for a five. If all the sections are within my abilities but one, and I decide that for myself attempting that one section might end with me hurt, I'll take the five thanks. I don't honestly think anyone riding around getting fives at every section by just asking for them in order to be classed a finisher is something anyone needs to expend energy concerning themselves with for obvious reasons.

After twice grazing the skin of my knuckles, I now wear Fox MX gloves with rubber padding on the fingers. 
And the Jitsie knee pads, that go into the boot, are a polpular item in our club ( with the older wiser men :-) after some bad experiences.
At national events in Belgium wearing a back protector is mandatory.  A chest protector is advised. Most kids and younger top riders, have been wearing them as long as I know.
Gloves on the other hand (hahaha), are not mandatory.

6 hours ago, elusivemite said:

But that's the point of the lanyard. Requires a wot situation to start dieseling then the kill switch will have no effect but  the lanyard cuts the power before it even starts.  I have a lanyard but unless I'm being brave (or stupid) its just tied to the bars and used as a kill switch 

So, if the rider winds it on,throttle sticks,bike loops,rider bails out,lanyard cuts ignition,bike is still screaming...

Trials is as safe as the sections and the common sense of the rider - if you don't like the look of it take a 5 and move on. No matter what you think you can prepare for there will always be something to go wrong. Stay in front of the telly if it bothers you. I like the summer trials where I can ride in a tee shirt,nearly always ride without gloves in the sections unless its minus ten.

• Like 3

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 7:18 AM, turbofurball said:

Following on from the "Trials the safest sport"  thread, what practical stuff would be a good idea to progress safety for riders, observers, and spectators?

Over time having public liability insurance, handlebar pads, and helmets have all been easy and sensible things to have ... how about making sure there's a qualified first-aider at events (and everyone knows who it is), or requiring all bikes to have lanyard kill switches?  What else?

Just how long have you been riding trials that makes you sooo concerned. Just so you understand this, you are more likely to get hurt from the lanyard coming off at the wrong moment than it coming off at the right moment. Did you see how far Fuji gas`s Montesa flew in Japan last year. The lanyard did nothing. A helmet has saved me once. (I started riding before helmets) I`ve had more injuries than most through the years and safety devices or lack of is not the problem. You are human, **** happens. 45 years of trials, cant wait for the next twenty plus! 

• Like 3

"Just so you understand this, you are more likely to get hurt from the lanyard coming off at the wrong moment than it coming off at the right moment"

Don't take this the wrong way, but your anecdotal evidence is just that, anecdotal. I'd rather see some decent research before making such statements.

"A helmet has saved me once".... "I`ve had more injuries than most through the years and safety devices or lack of is not the problem"

You're contradicting yourself :)

• Like 2

The fact that this thread is getting so many contributions shows that we are concerned about safety. But no-one on here has suggested there should be more rules. It's just an opportunity to discuss what we might each do to improve our own personal safety. (Or that clubs might do, in the case of first aid kit, first aiders and suitable briefings.)

• Like 1

Wrong, we do not want more rules. You should just worry about yourself.

6 hours ago, guys said:

"Just so you understand this, you are more likely to get hurt from the lanyard coming off at the wrong moment than it coming off at the right moment"

Don't take this the wrong way, but your anecdotal evidence is just that, anecdotal. I'd rather see some decent research before making such statements.

"A helmet has saved me once".... "I`ve had more injuries than most through the years and safety devices or lack of is not the problem"

You're contradicting yourself :)

Most of my injuries have been torn ACL`s. So I wear custom knee braces. So should we require everyone to wear custom knee braces? Maybe we should require a test section and if you 5 it, you load the bike and go home. I have seen countless 5`s from the stupid magnets. And stupid mistakes when your hand comes off the bars.  Ever seen them at a motocross race yet? Maybe we need a lanyard in the car so you cannot text. That would be fun watching the cars stalling all over the place!

By the way Guy`s I was mistaken. I`ve ruined a perfectly good helmet twice. I forgot the time a large truck ran me over on the street.

Edited by lineaway

Unless you have a gun held to your or your families heads ,no one is going to force you to ride anything you don't want too. END OF... If you want to wrap yourself in cotton wool and add every protection device known to man to your riding attire, help yourselves, apart from a bit of p*** taking nobody will mind OR CARE. Leave trials alone we are quite happy as we are thanks,We don't need any more bureaucracy.....

• Like 3