Is Beta Evo 2T 200 the best option... for me?

cam

Hello,

I'm about to buy a brand new trials motorcycle and I need some advice.

First, here's my experience...

2 years ago I've bought a brand new AJP Enduro Pro 240cc (4T), my first motorcycle. I was intending to do some hard-enduro training, but to be honest I ended up riding it mostly on trails with some hills climbing here and there. Even before buying it I was looking at all the things the pros are doing, like jumping over ditches, riding over logs... I never got to try all those. To be honest I lacked confidence. I've tried to learn to do wheelies but no luck there. The bike felt big to me and it also had 2 things that I do not like, so I gave up.

Also, I hate that I can't use the clutch lever with only one finger, I need two and that is also not that easy. Besides that, the rear brake pedal is kinda bad constructed and I can't really adjust it to my liking, so I ended up never using it (this is bad, I know!). Having a good amount of engine braking, the front brake was mostly what I needed.

While I got some experience out of it, confidence, balancing and throttle control, I'm not really a good rider, not as much as I wanted to be. So, I've decided to sell that bike and get a trials bike to improve my technique.

My physique: I am around 75-77 kg with a height of around 1.75 meters. 31 years old.

After looking at other manufacturers, I've decided that I would go with a Beta. Now the question is how many CC are the best for me? After reading a lot of opinions, I've arrived to the impression that a 200 is an awesome way to start. Many recommends a 125cc as well to learn proper technique and not relying on power, but that mostly is for young people and is only 70 EURO cheaper than the 200, so not sure if it's worth it since I'm buying new and planning to keep it for at least 2 years.

Now, I guess my real concern is if the 200 is the best or a 250 would be most appropriate, since buying new and planning to keep it. But, I rather lose some money when changing it to a 250/300 later on, than losing the chance to learn proper skills and techniques. I've kinda chose wrong with my first bike. This time I want to get the right one.

Many I've seen they buy a bigger bike with the hope they will grow on it and learn to control it, but read somewhere that if you need to make changes to tame it down it's not the right bike for you. Also, someone said that while the 200 and 250 are around the same weight, the 200 feels lighter.

The 250 is around 370 EURO more expensive than the 200.

Conclusion...

I just want the right bike to learn proper skills. Based on my background, is the 200 the best for me or the 250?

While some of you may think I should buy a used bike, unfortunately I can't do that. In my country, Romania, these are rare and most of them are 250 or 300 and some are pretty old too. I've read that the newest ones have more grunt/tourque down low and the power of a 2T is more linear, which sounds great to me and I kinda don't want an old bike to make my journey harder. This is a hobby for me so I don't see a reason to make it harder just to save some money. Plus... a brand new bike just makes you ride it more, love it more :D.

Also, I can't really ride any of them to make my own mind because the Beta dealer from my country have no trials bike in stock. He will order one only when buying it. So, I'm left to make my decision based on the knowledge I've found on the internet and your advice.

Agree with billyt, altitude is the one factor that would make me debate between the 200 or 250.  

lower elevation your going to love the 200 in my opinion but higher elevations the 250 would likely be a better option in my opinion.  

I was at near sea level and at around 80 kg I started on a 125 (now my wife's bike) and it was fine.  Even at my current elevation of around 3500 that same 125 pulls me around fine.  However when my family rides at 6000+ and I play on my wife's 125 I can tell the difference in lower power and am glad I have my 250.  

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your replies!

My riding area is mostly hills, I'm not in the mountains. I guess the altitude would be somewhere under 800 meters, definitely under 1000.

Edited by cam

Characteristics may be more important than outright power, 125s are lively but manageable as peak power is low - it's a serious competition bike for junior riders (high compression light flywheel), 250 is comparatively lazy but still has a lot more power than a 125 - it's a detuned bike made to be controllable by the average person despite the larger capacity (lowest compression of the range, weighted flywheel). I've never ridden a 200 but those who have rave about them, I couldn't find a used one so bought a 250.

300 super smooth could also be an option.

Sorry that probably doesn't help since I've recommended all of the 2T range apart from the normal 300. I've hared the 250 4T is very novice friendly but I've never ridden one.

At your weight and riding experience a 200 Beta would be perfect. I weigh 101 kg and have had 4 300cc bikes over the last 7 years. I will be going back to a 250cc Beta because i feel that it will work perfect for me. I have tried a 2013 200cc. I was amazed at how well it performed. The newer ones are even better.

The 200 is a lovely little bike. It'll do all you ask of it without tiring you out. It'll keep its resale value due to the rarity and high demand. I have a 300 and even detuned it can be a handful. Its main advantage is the ability to chug its way up steep inclines at low RPM. For 99% of the stuff I ride though the 200 would work just as well. If you buy the 200 you will have so much fun.

Not a very good rider myself i got a 2015 Beta 250 2 t felt brilliant on the test ride over flat ground but when i started to do a few trials it was a animal very sharp on the tight sections. so i invested in a 2016 Beta 250 4t what a dream to ride and very controllable in any section. 

I'm going to dissent from the others.... At your weight and skill level, I'd go with the 125.  If you had a hard time coming to grips with an AJP 240... The 200 might be a bit much for you at this point.  Any trials hydraulic clutch is going to feel like a dream, after that cable one on the AJP.  Friend has one and I was pretty surprised at how bad the clutch lever was on it.

Edited by nhuskys

As we're going for some dissent, I'll dissent from nhuskys. I recently go on a trials bike for the first time in 45 years (that's as near raw beginner as you can get!) and it was a Beta 200. In no way was it too powerful for me (77kg). If anything, I would have liked a little more, but perhaps a quick throttle would have done that for me.

On the other hand, when I'm out observing, it's noticeable that the 125s are screaming on the climbs while anything else seems to do the job with moderate revs.

I hope to be buying shortly and I was advised to buy a 125. Based on my very limited experience though, I'll be going for a 250, though I might choose a 200 if a good one came up.

Edited by trapezeartist
Thought of more to say.
  • Like 1

Have to put my 2 cents in here.

I have owned 3 Beta 200s. First was a 2010 which I liked and was very easy to ride very linear power.

2nd was a 2016. This bike also very well behaved. I noticed a great improvement as the engine cases were specifically designed for this size engine.

And because I liked the 2016 so much and that it was so easy to ride I just took delivery of a new 2017. Only thing I changed from stock is the fast throttle.

Prior to the Betas I always owned GG 250s which I also liked very much but during trials competition I score much better on the Beta.

I have tried a Sherco 125 in the past for a short time and really did not like it as at low revs it was not very responsive and it definitely had a hit at higher revs

For someone just getting into the sport that wants to compete a 200 will IMO be a great easy to ride bike. Power delivery is very linear.

Best of luck with whatever you decide