IRC tyres

stpauls

Do IRC rear tyres still come off the modern Motad-style rims when inflated at very low pressures,  2 - 3 psi?

If so, then why don't the manufacturers make the bead a bit smaller/reduce it's circumference?

• 3 weeks later...

Yes the revised irc still come off the rim. Multiple rims. We are calling them "i r ceeing you dnf any moment". At 5 to 6 psi the leak slowly and around 3 ish become a bracelet. My dunlop d803gp's have ridden half a loop in sections flat (only on the bottom mind you) just to make their way back to the pits for a repair. I have found the sidewall on the irc to be stiffer not softer.

--Biff

• Like 2

I'm have tried a new type IRC that isn't supposed to deflate.

Starting pressure on lap 1.   4 psi

Finishing pressure.   3.5 psi

Starting pressure on lap 2.   4 psi

Finishing pressure.   2.5 psi.

This was a rocky two lap road trial. Probably better result than older IRC but still far from acceptable.

I have now given the bead two coats of Tip Top bead sealer to see if it will help. 

Lomax road trial on Monday will test it!

On 06/04/2017 at 11:02 PM, biffsgasgas said:

Yes the revised irc still come off the rim. Multiple rims. We are calling them "i r ceeing you dnf any moment". At 5 to 6 psi the leak slowly and around 3 ish become a bracelet. My dunlop d803gp's have ridden half a loop in sections flat (only on the bottom mind you) just to make their way back to the pits for a repair. I have found the sidewall on the irc to be stiffer not softer.

--Biff

You are right. They have a stiffer sidewall and softer tread area.