IRC tyres

stpauls

USA Texas Nationals on April 1st. Just bought a 2016 Beta 250 Factory and installed a Dunlop 803GP. First loop came in and had about 1psi. Luckily I had brought a full gallon of Slime tire sealant.( This place is notorious for flats as everything is some type of thorn.) Second loop I finished with 2.5 PSI Better but not good on an 8 mile loop. 3rd loop same result and the green stuff was coming out at one spot on the bead/rim. Next morning I added another six ounces and it`s held ever since. I`ll worry about it again when I change tires.

Edited by lineaway
spelling

1 hour ago, lineaway said:

USA Texas Nationals on April 1st. Just bought a 2016 Beta 250 Factory and installed a Dunlop 803GP. First loop came in and had about 1psi. Luckily I had brought a full gallon of Slime tire sealant.( This place is notorious for flats as everything is some type of thorn.) Second loop I finished with 2.5 PSI Better but not good on an 8 mile loop. 3rd loop same result and the green stuff was coming out at one spot on the bead/rim. Next morning I added another six ounces and it`s held ever since. I`ll worry about it again when I change tires.

Can you imagine if this was car tyres that went down like this. There would be a lot of warranty claims!

1 hour ago, timp said:

Can you imagine if this was car tyres that went down like this. There would be a lot of warranty claims!

they probably would if you had 4psi in them and drove over big rocks  :D

Edited by suzuki250
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

7 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

It just seems a no-brainer to me. Michelin tyres hold their pressure. IRCs leak or come off the rim. Why on earth would you buy an IRC?

Because some perceive IRC tyres to be softer and thus more grip - however all the top riders use Michelin so X11 must be ok 

On 27/04/2017 at 0:43 AM, oni nou said:

Wrapping the seating area of the rim with a couple of turns of tape seems to be an idea that may work for IRC or Dunlops that lose pressure or dismount the rim.There is a how 2 on YouTube relating specifically to a trials application.

I have "Tip Top bead sealer" 

Paint it on to increase the rim size. Designed I assume for pitted alloy rims.

My new Irc is stopping up better with this.

http://www.rematiptop.com/parts.php?sid=13

"

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2017 at 0:17 AM, oni nou said:

Not being funny; but surely that is exactly what tubeless rear trials tyres will be designed to run at.....if not then just exactly what are they being designed for ?...........If of course you are talking about tubeless car tyres then I agree.

At muddy events I run my rear tubeless Michelin tyres at 2.5 psi and it stays on the rim[morad old type] and does not feel like it is creeping; so where does that fit in. IRC and Dunlop are both Japanese tyres so they must be using a DID  rim measurement and not the morad as their standard or something similar that is giving them this problem. There will be a reason why they are not compatible with certain rims and it is probably down to one person at a high level in each company being bloody minded.

Someone has just given me the "Michelin 2017 off road range" leaflet. In the small print "recommended pressures" for trials, both tubed and tubeless, it says Front 5psi minimum and rear 4.25psi minimum - i can scan it if you want.

I'm well aware that some riders around here (soft southern [mud] fairies) run as little as 3psi dry and less when wet.

• Like 1

Its a shame owners buy new bikes and have to deal with this problem of tire and rim sizing standards in the industry...which should be a non-issue. It seems to be in line with the times, endless recalls and poor designs, manufacturers failing to stand behind the products because they already got paid. What is the answer? Stop buying from the shoddy outfits and encouraging the poor practices??:(

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/11/2017 at 6:53 AM, stpauls said:

Do IRC rear tyres still come off the modern Motad-style rims when inflated at very low pressures,  2 - 3 psi?

If so, then why don't the manufacturers make the bead a bit smaller/reduce it's circumference?

I am in the south of England, near Bath.  After recently seeing several other good riders of modern bikes using IRC tyres, I fitted one of the new IRC Winner rear tyres yesterday to my 2014 Sherco, with Motad type rims (standard).  Fitted it myself.  It was a very tight fit on the rim, so it shouldn't come off.   I rode in a trial today.  Muddy streams and steep hillsides, with long wet grass.  It gripped very well and did not come off the rim or loose any pressure (3psi).  Glad I bought it.

Question:  I now need a new front tyre.  Micheline X11 or IRC ?  Anyone fitted an IRC to the front?

Edited by stpauls